Upgrading Xampp without re-installing ?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Upgrading Xampp without re-installing ?

Postby manigopal » 03. April 2020 03:11

I want to upgrade my PHP, MySQL & Apache versions without re-installing. Since i have more projects & i'm using as local server (in my PC).

Step i have tried,
Downloaded 7.3 version / recent xampp version & replaced PHP, MySQL & Apache folders in older xampp.

But when i do that., my phpBB throws error.

Why i have done this ?
I had a plan of upgrading my PHPBB 3.2.7 to 3.3.0 But i faced many issues,

it said minimum => 7.1.3 is required so i upgraded my PHP / PhPMyAdmin / Apache server from,
PHP 7.0.9 to 7.3.2
PhpMyAdmin & Apache server

P.s : I have installed xampp 7.0.9 version for the cause of this i tried to move to newer but still, since i cannot re-install xampp (as i run some projects) i tried of migrating PHP / Apache / PhpMyAdmin folder update inside xampp.
Reason for moving to 7.3.2 is i tried of doing the same my xampp 7.0.9 was 32bit when i tried with xampp 7.4.3 its was 64-bit & also phpbb have not run smoothly.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-stdlib/src/ArrayObject.php on line 426: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 272: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 275: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 281: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 287: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 296: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 314: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 319: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
manigopal

XAMPP version: 7.0.9
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Upgrading Xampp without re-installing ?

Postby Nobbie » 03. April 2020 10:42

Actually, there is no upgrade procedure for Xampp.

You can try to do it your way (replacing Apache / PHP / MySQL), or you can do it vice verse:

1) First of all: do a backup. Backup the whole Xampp folder, I would simply move c:/xampp to c:/xampp-backup

2) Install new Xampp into c:/xampp

3) Copy the htdocs folder, the data folder (MySQL Databases) and perhaps some configuration files from xampp-backup to c:/xampp (especially VirtualHosts etc.). To get a clean installation, delete htdocs and data from c:/xampp before copying from the backup.
Perhapy also overtake some changes of php.ini (if you did so).

Then try to run....

The messages from phpBB Debug are warnings only. You may ignore these. If you are bothered from the warnings, either switch off phpBB Debug, or switch off error reporting in php.ini or change error_level for error reporting in php.ini (display only severe errors for example). Obviously the zend framework has some "glitches" (some weak syntax problems, usage of "continue" instead of "break"), probably a newer PHP release does a more sophisticated syntax check which leads to these warnings, a very common issue when upgrading from older PHP releases. If your PHP knowlegde is sufficient, you may also simply edit the modules (like MethodReflection.php) and insert the correct syntax in the lines 272, 275 and so on.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows