Wondering how to get rid of the not secure message

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Wondering how to get rid of the not secure message

Postby wesman00 » 10. January 2020 22:13

I'm using XAMPP to host apache on my main computer. I downloaded a webpage through a GitHub project and moved the files inside of it into the htdocs so it would show up when I went to localhost. I'm also running a Virtual Machine on the same computer and going to localhost does not show the apache page I am hosting. I solved this by going to the host computer's local IP address. I edited the windows host file so that when I put lrjenkins.bank into the address bar, it should go to my local IP address instead of 127.0.0.1. In the address bar, it shows that my connection is not secure. I plan to use this locally hosted site to mimic a fake bank to waste scammers' time when I let them connect to my virtual machine and log into my fake bank using fake login info (the password has to be hunter2 lol) to show fake money. If I put the host computer's local IP into the address bar then I am able to see the page and log in and everything, but seeing a string of numbers when I'm "logging into my bank" instead of lrjenkins.bank is not convincing and having not secure in the address bar is also a red flag. https://shellcreeper.com/how-to-create-valid-ssl-in-localhost-for-xampp/ I followed this tutorial to make a certificate and trust it in windows settings on my host just to verify that it works, and after following the guide and changing site.test to lrjenkins.bank everywhere I saw it and then trusting the certificate, but I got the error in chrome that tells me that the site is using HSTS and I have to type "thisisunsafe" to get the site to show and it still says not secure in the top so this tutorial made the problem worse. I reverted to the backup before I followed the tutorial and I still can't figure out how to make an SSL certificate that shows that my connection is secure. If at all possible, I would love to have the lock display that the certificate is issued to LR Jenkins Financial Group, exactly how the certificate for github.com works.
wesman00

XAMPP version: 7.4.1
Operating System: Windows 10

Return to XAMPP for Windows