Upgrade Xammp and PHP questions

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Upgrade Xammp and PHP questions

Postby Drachsi » 03. November 2019 12:57

My Xampp shows as version 3.2.2 Are there detailed instructions how to do an upgrade?

Can I upgrade just the php version and how can I do that?

Regards
Drachsi

Re: Upgrade Xammp and PHP questions

Postby Nobbie » 03. November 2019 13:14

1) 3.2.2 is not a valid release number (its only the version of the Xampp Controlcenter). The version of Xampp is identical to the version of the included PHP, currently Xampp 7.1.3.3 and Xampp 7.2.24 and Xampp 7.3.11. See https://www.apachefriends.org/de/download.html

2) There is no upgrade instruction, you have to do a full backup (most important!), a full de-install and a full new install. Finally you have to restore your own applications, data and configurations. Its quite a task.

3) No, Xampp does not support upgrade of single components like Apache, PHP, MariaDB etc.

That is the disadvantage of using Xampp. Therefore Xampp comes preconfigured and is running out of the box.
Nobbie

Postby Thunderbolt_47 » 28. November 2019 15:24

Okay, so it comes in a "plug and play" package so that users can't "break" parts of it by updating/modifying separate programs in said package there and there... Makes sense. Do you think it would be doable to have an option to update XAMPP from one version to the next one without having to uninstall and install everything anew?
Thunderbolt_47

XAMPP version: 7.2.24
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Nobbie » 28. November 2019 19:46

Thunderbolt_47 wrote:Do you think it would be doable to have an option to update XAMPP from one version to the next one without having to uninstall and install everything anew?

No.

The most difficult part is the user data, especially the configuration (users may change the Xampp configuration!), i have no clue how to adapt user changes without having a look to it.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows