Shortcut to viewing WordPress?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Shortcut to viewing WordPress?

Postby Outernaut » 16. April 2019 18:59

Greetings and Salutations,

Preamble:
  1. I have a Full backup made at Godaddy of mydomain.com that is using Wordpress
  2. I have XAMPP 5.6.31 and know nothing about it.
  3. Using my Windos VISTA box, I hope to unpack WP and using XAMPP, view the WP as if it were live on a server.

Question:
Is there a step x step guide as to how to install the WP backup on a local VISTA desktop, and view it with XAMPP?

.O.

Can you imagine where we'd be were it not for the generosity of volunteers that donate their time and knowledge supporting various software (AKA apps)? The devs would have to pay to provide support and the price of free and up, would go through the roof. Thanks everyone for all your help, and patience, so we don't become patients.
Outernaut

XAMPP version: 5.6.31
Operating System: Vista

Re: Shortcut to viewing WordPress?

Postby Nobbie » 16. April 2019 22:56

Outernaut wrote:Question:
Is there a step x step guide as to how to install the WP backup on a local VISTA desktop, and view it with XAMPP?

https://www.wpexplorer.com/migrating-wordpress-website/ (where Xampp is your new server)
Nobbie

Postby Outernaut » 16. April 2019 23:28

Nobbie wrote:
Outernaut wrote:Question:

https://www.wpexplorer.com/migrating-wordpress-website/ (where Xampp is your new server)

Thanks @Nobbie'
I guess it can't happen because the guide says in step 2 and 3:
that link you gave wrote:Export The WordPress Database
Create The WordPress Database On Your New Host Server

All I was able to get prior to changing hosts was the "Backup entire site for transfer to new host" file from old host.

Thanks again @Nobbie
.O.
Outernaut

Postby Outernaut » 17. April 2019 16:40

Any one else?
Outernaut

Postby Nobbie » 17. April 2019 16:46

If you dont have a backup of the database (as mentioned in step 2 and 3) you cannot install the WordPress copy on Xampp (neither on any other host). The database holds all real contents, htdocs only holds the WordPress scripts (but not your contents).
Nobbie

Postby Outernaut » 17. April 2019 17:01

Nobbie wrote:If you dont have a backup of the database (as mentioned in step 2 and 3) you cannot install the WordPress copy on Xampp (neither on any other host). The database holds all real contents, htdocs only holds the WordPress scripts (but not your contents).

I beg to differ, but it can be installed "on any other host" and was installed on another host, and it worked just fine.

.o.
Outernaut

Postby Nobbie » 17. April 2019 19:47

Outernaut wrote:I beg to differ, but it can be installed "on any other host" and was installed on another host, and it worked just fine.

Maybe. But as I said, only with a backup of the database. Maybe you have a backup of the databse and simply dont know about, but anyway, you *MUST* have a database backup. Definately.
Nobbie

Postby Outernaut » 18. April 2019 00:51

Nobbie wrote:
Outernaut wrote:I beg to differ, but it can be installed "on any other host" and was installed on another host, and it worked just fine.

Maybe. But as I said, only with a backup of the database. Maybe you have a backup of the databse and simply dont know about, but anyway, you *MUST* have a database backup. Definately.

No "maybe" about it friend. If one is transferring their ANY site another Host, they require the full back-up, or let the Host do it, but they just get the full back up. Only the Host (in 99% of cases) is able to install a WP, Joomla, Drupal et el, site and needs the full backup. It is not easily installable otherwise.

For those searching the Internet and those Googling the catalogue and coming across this - - - when one uses cPanel to do a full back-up, it is the the back-up used to transfer a domain from one host to another. It includes everything - along with databases, email, forwarders, logs, -everything-. The new Host will install it and it will be exactly the same as the old host was, complete with database.

XAMPP however, may be different.

I could not find in the XAMPP docs anything that explains using separate database backups. I don't doubt what you're saying, you are 110% more in tune with XAMPP than I probably. It is/was probably assumed that I was going to create a new WP site and then the suggestion is to import the old database. I get that. But, I'm trying to run full-blown site that was backed up (Full backup).

For anyone curious, legally stoned, trolling, or wasting time, here is why I need to do this:

Assume I have a site that is 2 years old at cloudy123.com and set up a new site at sunny456.com. The new site is a one pager, the old one a 60 pager. I know - how long is a page :)

Now, I want to open the old site via localhost and access Cloudy to view old site on one monitor using localhost (it propagated)
On NEW site, and other monitor (same comp) I want to create a new article, and from the old site copy & paste the text to new site.
WHY this way? Because the old site is WP and new is Joomla and let's not go to converters - I wasted enough money on those for THIS project.

Too, there is a horrifying new trend where Hosts are now welding mod-security tighter and tighter until the webmasters IP has to be manually white-listed via a support ticket, as well as anyone accessing WP, Joomla or any CMS or other user login web manager.

SUMMARY:

I was finally able to get around the problem switching from WP to Joomla while at same time, switching hosts. If anyone is interested... here is what I did.

Start new site with generic Joomla or favourite template... remember to stay inside the lines. No need to setup menus yet, but do get your add-ons, plugins and any bells and whistles to make it look pretty, and you kewl.
Do nothing to your old site yet.
Do NOT change DNS with Registrar just yet.
Get your NEW hosted page IP address.
Edit your host file to include the new host/site.

I have 4 monitors so it's easier for me, but open two browser windows. In one, open the old WordPress site and in 2nd monitor, open new Joomla site.

In Joomla site, create new Article or Module
In WP site, highlight and copy text.
Go to Joomla window and PLAIN paste text.
Drag images to your Joomla upload manager and move that into the article/mod and save.

Repeat as necessary.

OR,

If you have a WHM access, setup a dummyxya.com domain name (name it whatever you want - no one but you will see it).
Download a full backup of your WP site (don't worry about databases - they'll be there)
Upload it to another domain directory, the new one would be OK.
Now, stun your Host and see if they can work outside the generic box and ask them to install the uploaded file into/under the dummyxya.com (or whatever you called it).
They'll freak probably, but a 3 or 4th level may understand what it you are doing and do it for you. Tell probable say "But it already exists" Just say. Install it UNDER dummyxya.com and not to overwrite the new domain. It is easy to do, I've done it.
Add Host IP address and dummyxya.com to your HOST file.

Now you can access both one in 1 screen the 2nd in the other and drag and drop your -stuff- from WordPress to Joomla.

It took me 4 days of tickets and chats, and forums and 404s, long and winding rhetoric, and a lot of reading. It took me 2 hours to move 60 pages into a 1 page startup site.
The cosmetics, and bells and whistles will come later. Just be sure to change to HOST file back later.

Pollution and taxes will last forever and thanks to perpetuity and the Trashnet - so will this post :)

.O.
Outernaut

Postby Nobbie » 18. April 2019 04:29

Outernaut wrote:No "maybe" about it friend. If one is transferring their ANY site another Host, they require the full back-up, or let the Host do it, but they just get the full back up. Only the Host (in 99% of cases) is able to install a WP, Joomla, Drupal et el, site and needs the full backup.

No. Obvisouly you know only hosts with cPamel. There are tons of hosts without cPanel. I dont use cPanel and i dont need cPanel at all.

Outernaut wrote:It is not easily installable otherwise.

For you. For me it is easy, as i have plenty of knowlegde about webservers and mysql databases without the need of running cPanel. The documentation about the WordPress copy from one host to another also does not base on cPanel as well.

As Xampp does not install cPanel and as this forum neither supports WordPress nor cPanel, your request is going to exceed the scope of this forum. Joomla neither is of interrest here.

P.S.: If you are planning to install cPanel on your PC - you cannot use Xampp for Windows (as you currently have). According to the cPanel & WHM installation guide, only Linux servers are supported. There is no installation for Windows servers (like your Xampp VISTA Box). You have to use a Linux distribution instead and Xampp for Linux as well.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows