Upgrade is exceedingly slow!

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Upgrade is exceedingly slow!

Postby ajax » 06. April 2019 21:23

Have been using XAMPP for many years but until recently was limited to 32bit versions. I might add they worked very nicely but becoming outdated. This includes running XAMPP on both Windows and Linux based computers. I finally stepped up and have some 64bit computers so thought it time to switch to the newer 64bit versions of XAMPP. This initial venture involves the Windows Portable, .zip file rather than .exe file whatever that might be, 64bit version.

In this case portable means installed on USB 3 flash drives formatted for NTFS, which I expected to be faster than past experience with conventional hard drive on what would now be considered pretty slow WinXP based computer. The primary computer used for this experiment is an 8GB Intel i5 with 3Ghz max processor speed running Windows 10. It seems to work but is so painfully slow that it could NOT be considered useful.

Examples of how slow involve trying to setup a new instance of Wordpress which resulted in such things as follows:

Unable to access from another computer on the same local network using browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, IE. They all usually timeout indicating that the host server is unresponsive. Usually is meant to say that occasional responses suggest the problem is not related to the network.

Access from same/local host computer using IP 127.0.0.1 obtained the same result until the PHP timeout was increased from 30 to 60. At 60 wp-login.php would return the sign on page. However, after entering userid/pw the sign-on would still fail with a php error indicating a line number within a php file where it looks like the time limit was exceeded.

Never had this experience in the past. Initial setup of Wordpress always worked quite well. Also it seems like this is a very basic and I presume common undertaking for XAMPP users. Observing activity in the Windows Task Manager while trying to perform these operations reveals relatively little usage of both CPU and memory. It really does NOT appear to be a problem related to the processing power of the computer.

Any suggestions?
ajax

Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional

Re: Upgrade is exceedingly slow!

Postby ajax » 07. April 2019 18:05

A couple of new findings that elaborate on the situation and may account for, at least some of, the slowness.

First, found another thumb drive used for a different project that also contained a 64bit version of XAMPP. Plugged it into the same computer that produced above reported results. It had XAMPP 7.2.2 (rather than 7.3.2). It worked fine.

Second, inspected "httpd-vhosts.conf" (only change to default Apache configuration) and found a difference that may have caused some problem. The slow running version had an extraneous <VirtualHost> defined that may have interfered with the necessary <VirtualHost> specifications. I'm no Apache expert but it specified a wildcard character for the hostname and appeared before the needed <VirtualHost> definitions. Could that be problematic?

Third, the troublesome thumb drive turned out to be USB2 where I thought I was using USB3. The version that works fine is USB3.

A little more experimentation is needed before reaching any conclusions but things NOT looking quite as dire as previously thought.
ajax

Postby ajax » 09. April 2019 21:30

My apologies! After a rather frustrating, and time consuming, effort it now appears as though the essence of this problem was a thumb drive which just wasn't up to the task. It seems to operate within reason for read operations but writing is whole other story. The idea that it could be so slow without registering some kind of error is beyond belief. Insofar as NO errors have been reported, at least that have been noticed, it is unclear whether this is a defective device or possibly normal behavior for some kind/brand of device. However, after moving to another device everything works as expected as far a speed is concerned.
ajax

Postby bobsanders » 18. April 2019 17:11

ajax wrote:My apologies! After a rather frustrating, and time consuming, effort it now appears as though the essence of this problem was a thumb drive which just wasn't up to the task. It seems to operate within reason for read operations but writing is whole other story. The idea that it could be so slow without registering some kind of error is beyond belief. Insofar as NO errors have been reported, at least that have been noticed, it is unclear whether this is a defective device or possibly normal behavior for some kind/brand of device. However, after moving to another device everything works as expected as far a speed is concerned.

This happened to me once, but not while upgrading XAMPP. It turned out to have a defect/hardware issue.
bobsanders

XAMPP version: 7.3.4
Operating System: Windows Vista

Return to XAMPP for Windows