No CRAMPs with XAMPP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

No CRAMPs with XAMPP

Postby enjo » 26. November 2018 10:44

Hello friends,

just a quick thank you for your hard work over the years creating and maintaining XAMPP. Install was painless and, once we got WWW-Publishing Service out of the way, we were able to quickly get down to doing what we set out to do: create a WordPress website.

Not so with local by Flywheel. We had high hopes for this "state-of-the-art" environment however there is a name resolution problem and the community was unresponsive (https://local.getflywheel.com/community/t/dns-resolution-failure-win-10-default-install-cannot-access-admin-or-site-via-domain-name/9545) so we returned to the tried-and-true.

Please know that your efforts are appreciated and not taken for granted.

Best regards,
enjo
enjo

XAMPP version: 7.2.12
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: No CRAMPs with XAMPP

Postby Nobbie » 26. November 2018 19:32

Just to be sure - is there any question or is everything ok?
Nobbie

Postby enjo » 26. November 2018 21:32

Thank you for asking, @Nobbie. I only posted to express my appreciation while fresh in my mind because it is easy to forget about the local development environment once it is installed and configured. At least until one of Microsoft's mandatory updates breaks something.

I''m old enough to remember when web and appservers cost a small fortune and only large corporations could afford such infrastructure. Accompanied by onerous contracts from the likes of Computer Asscociates and BEA. FOSS changed the world and the Apache Software Foundation has been beating the drum since the early days.

I'm also mindful that the XAMPP installer did not offer me a bunch of up-sells during installation, opt-me into installing adware, require me to give them my spare CPU cycles for bitcoin mining, nor suggest that I permit it to "backup" my contacts and other sensitive information so it could build a social graph and recommend itself to my 10,000 closest associates.
enjo

XAMPP version: 7.2.12
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby Nobbie » 26. November 2018 21:43

enjo wrote:I'm also mindful that the XAMPP installer did not offer me a bunch of up-sells during installation, opt-me into installing adware, require me to give them my spare CPU cycles for bitcoin mining

;)

I think your complaints are typical of American providers. They're not so typical for Germany, but I think it's funny. Especially the Bitcoin part is up to date and serious - at the moment the Bitcoin crashes and there is no end in sight. Probably a bubble, as the saying goes.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows