Xampp upgrading from 5.6.24-1 to 7.2.10 for Win2012 server

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp upgrading from 5.6.24-1 to 7.2.10 for Win2012 server

Postby axiomcs » 09. October 2018 20:50

Are there detailed instructions for this?

Presently my db is MySQL and the version I will be upgrading to says MariaDB. Can I keep MySQL?

If no to the instructions, do I need to uninstall the old one first?

Joomla is installed on this server. Are there different steps for the upgrade if Joomla is installed?
axiomcs

XAMPP version: 3.2.2
Operating System: Windows Server 2012

Re: Xampp upgrading from 5.6.24-1 to 7.2.10 for Win2012 serv

Postby Nobbie » 10. October 2018 10:33

Due to the complexity of a webserver, there is no upgrade procedure. You can only deinstall the old version and run an installation of the new version. You have to do multiple backups (htdocs, MySQL Databases, configuration files etc.) and must restore everything after. I recommend to backup the whole Xampp folder ADDITIONALLY (just to have an easy fallback). You cannot keep MySQL as it isnt delivered with Xampp. MariaDB comes as an binary replacement.

Actually, i wouldnt do an upgrade if there is no technical reason for it. Don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading.
Nobbie

Postby axiomcs » 10. October 2018 15:37

Thanks for your reply. It seems that I am in a bind of a sorts.

It looks like the upgrade is required as Joomla's control panel is giving this message:
Warning
Your PHP version, 5.6.24, is only receiving security fixes at this time from the PHP project. This means your PHP version will soon no longer be supported. We recommend planning to upgrade to a newer PHP version before it reaches end of support on 2018-10-01. Joomla will be faster and more secure if you upgrade to a newer PHP version (PHP 7.x is recommended). Please contact your host for upgrade instructions.

As far as backing up, my htdocs folder contains no files related to the website's content. The content is somewhere else.

What do you mean "restore everything after"? What is considered "everything", i.e. db, config files, content (did I miss anything?)?

What happens to my db since it is MySQL and now the latest xampp is MariaDB? Does it get translated by some utility? Does it just drop in? I am not insistent on keeping MySQL, as long as MariaDB can work with my db (the db is sizable I believe). I guess Joomla assistance may be required as well.

Since this website is apachefriends.org, does it involve assistance wherever apache is in use? If so, would assistance be offered with Wampserver, and if so, would someone care to comment on the possibility and appropriateness of switching my webserver from xampp to Wampserver?
axiomcs

Postby Nobbie » 10. October 2018 21:34

axiomcs wrote:What do you mean "restore everything after"? What is considered "everything", i.e. db, config files, content (did I miss anything?)?

Yes, everything means everything, HTML files, PHP Scripts, .htaccess files, MySQL Databases, PHP configuration (i.e. php.ini), MySQL configuration, Apache configuration (httpd.conf and subsequent includes) and and and - everything you did to run your site. Actually you are running Xampp as an Onlline Server, we do not support that. Xampp is meant as development environment only.

axiomcs wrote:What happens to my db since it is MySQL and now the latest xampp is MariaDB? Does it get translated by some utility? Does it just drop in?

You have to export your databases into a *.sql format (which means, you get an export file with tons of SQL statements) and after you have to import these files. By doing so, your data is converted if needed, actually i dont know if MySQL and MariaDB have different binary storage.

axiomcs wrote:Since this website is apachefriends.org, does it involve assistance wherever apache is in use

No. This website supports Xampp only.
Nobbie

Postby axiomcs » 01. November 2018 19:12

Upgrading to xampp 7.2.11

Problem with password when importing.

I export the db this way thru the cli: "C:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqldump" -u root -p"password" --opt --result-file="C:\Users\Administrator\Backups\Joomla DB\joomla_db.sql" db_name

I uninstall xampp 5.6.24 and then install xampp 7.2.11.

And import it this way: "C:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysql" -u root --password -D db_name < "C:\Users\Administrator\Backups\Joomla DB\joomla_db.sql"

But when I enter the pwd from the export command, it says "Access is denied".
When I don't enter a pwd, the command succeeds.

What is being done wrong, or what is the solution?
axiomcs

Return to XAMPP for Windows