mysql password issue

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

mysql password issue

Postby possowski » 27. September 2018 13:35

I am learning to work with databases / php using xampp v3.2.2 on a win10 platform. as part of the books instructions I was to change the password privileges for the root user and then modify the config.inc.php file so it reflects this change
(#cfg['Servers][$i]['password'] = 'thepassword';), save the file then reload phpMyAdmin. When I did this the welcome screen had an error message stating "invalid settings" and "mysqli_real_connect90: (HY000/1045): Access denies for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES). I cannot connect through a php script and don't want to have to reload the software. How can I fix this?
possowski

XAMPP version: v3.2.2
Operating System: win10

Re: mysql password issue

Postby possowski » 27. September 2018 17:47

I changed the $cfg file back to its original state (['password'] = ''), exited and restarted xampp and still get the error.
possowski

Postby Nobbie » 27. September 2018 19:33

1) You have to remove "#" in front of the line.
2) Maybe you already have another MySQL running?
3) Maybe you mistyped the password?

Instead of applying the password in the configuration, what might be unsafe, change auth_type from 'config' to 'cookie'. You will then be asked for user/password in a common dialog, any value applied in config.inc.php is ignored instead.
Nobbie

Postby possowski » 28. September 2018 04:52

the # was a typo when I was submitting my issue. The real problem was instead of entering 'thepassword' I was supposed to enter " the password" that I chose when I modified the privileges. Once I fixed that everything worked fine. duhh.
possowski

Return to XAMPP for Windows