Root users in MySQL

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Root users in MySQL

Postby mcmxmz » 13. April 2018 13:34

Hi,

I'm securing my Xampp 7.2.3 installation on Windows a bit and I noticed 3 root users in the MySQL database. Two of those root accounts have no password:
Can I safely delete or set a password on these accounts? What are the implictions? Also, what's the need for 3 root accounts? I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I'm a bit confused.

p.s. I don't know if it's relevant but I already configured Phpmyadmin to require a password to login.
mcmxmz

XAMPP version: 3.2.2
Operating System: Windows

Re: Root users in MySQL

Postby Nobbie » 13. April 2018 23:03

mcmxmz wrote:Can I safely delete or set a password on these accounts?

Very awkward question. Do you think, its safe to delete the Admin account of any software tool?
Nobbie

Postby mcmxmz » 16. April 2018 10:45

No and that's not what I'm trying to achieve because ofcourse I need to keep the root account with the password. However, I'm confused about the presence of those 2 non-password protected root-entries and what to do with them.
mcmxmz

XAMPP version: 3.2.2
Operating System: Windows

Postby Nobbie » 16. April 2018 11:04

As clearly stated in the readme file, Xampp is meant as an development environment, as open as possible and therefore there is no password protection for root etc.. Xampp is not meant for online and/or production servers.

The presence of more than one user root comes due to the fact, that the data model of mysql does not know plain users, but users for different hosts. Therefore there is root for "localhost" as well as for 127.0.0.1 as for ::1 (all different representations for your PCs loopback device). It depends on your environment which host/user is used in your connect.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows