Access denied creating xampp-control.ini

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Access denied creating xampp-control.ini

Postby mblascog » 09. April 2018 08:29

Hi,
We've changed our server, Windows Server 2016 Essentials, and we've got problems installing xampp.
For the moment we have not updated our applications and it still works with PHP 5.6, for this reason we want to install Xampp Control Panel v3.2.2.
We've already installed it and when we run it and want to do some changes always have the same error: cannot create file "C:\xampp\xampp-control.ini". Access denied. If I run as administrator, it goes fine. But I think it's not the solution to open always like administrator. We are always working with an administrator user.

Any help please.
Thanks
mblascog

XAMPP version: 3.2.2
Operating System: Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Re: Access denied creating xampp-control.ini

Postby gsmith » 10. April 2018 04:32

I do not know much about that control panel but if you have xampp installed in program files, it's going to need admin to write to that ini file. Even the more unprotected parts of the hard drive Windows 8/10/Server 2012/2016 seem to be more particular than Vista/7/2008 were. You may just want to change permissions on the folder the control panel is stored in so at most a select group of users have more rights, of course you'll have to be admin to do that.
gsmith

XAMPP version: 0.0.0
Operating System: Win 7-10/VS 6,9,11,14,15

Re: Access denied creating xampp-control.ini

Postby mblascog » 10. April 2018 07:23

Thanks gsmith. I've installed xampp in the root, c:\, the default destination.
Till now, I had always installed xampp in pc's, this is the first time I do it on a server. Installing in a pc, automatically the authenticated users are added to this folder, in Windows server no. Then I added it and the problem was solved.
mblascog

XAMPP version: 3.2.2
Operating System: Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Return to XAMPP for Windows