Won't let me delete old xampp folder after uninstalling

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Won't let me delete old xampp folder after uninstalling

Postby ahmeah » 03. March 2018 15:24

I had to force restart my laptop since it froze while uninstalling xampp.

So after my laptop was turned back on, xampp is uninstalled (as it was no longer shown in my Programs and Features) but when I go into my C drive, the xampp folder is still there.

I'm guessing it is because during the uninstall I had to force shut down my laptop since it froze, so it didn't finish uninstalling (remove the files)?

I tried to delete the xampp folder but it will be forever loading and freezes up my laptop so I would have to force shut it down. I tried to go in and delete individual things which worked except from the apache folder.

I tried to delete it by using git bash by doing some rm commands, that didn't do the trick either.

I wanted to install xampp again but couldn't (since old xampp folder was there) so I renamed the old xampp folder to something else "blah". So now I have a xampp folder and a blah folder which is the old xampp folder.

I read on stackoverflow that I need to stop Apache and mySQL in services.msc but I can't see those anywhere when I look into services.msc.

Btw I am using a Windows 8 laptop if that is helpful.

Could anyone give me any guidance on how to delete this old xampp folder? Everytime I go near that folder my laptop freezes!

Thanks!
ahmeah

XAMPP version: 7
Operating System: Windows 8

Re: Won't let me delete old xampp folder after uninstalling

Postby Nobbie » 03. March 2018 17:52

Start your PC from a Linux USB stick and delete the folder from there.
Nobbie

Postby ahmeah » 03. March 2018 21:59

Nobbie wrote:Start your PC from a Linux USB stick and delete the folder from there.

Thanks for your reply but I don't have one. Do you have any alternative solutions? Thanks
ahmeah

XAMPP version: 7
Operating System: Windows 8

Postby Nobbie » 03. March 2018 23:13

Dont you have an USB stick? Simply download Ubuntu and create a bootable stick. I dont know better solution.
Nobbie

Postby JJ_Tagy » 04. March 2018 09:40

Start in safe mode with command prompt and try.
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Return to XAMPP for Windows