Can't access website from network

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can't access website from network

Postby The Shroom » 14. February 2018 15:42

I believe my problem is caused due to the fact that the server is running on a shared connection.
I basically have a network cable going from the server PC to my laptop which is connected to my router by wifi.
The laptop is set to use a shared connection on the wifi network adapter.

The server PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate, and the laptop is running Windows 10 Professional.
I have disabled the firewall completely on the server PC and the laptop, as well as disabled the antivirus on both.

The reason to why I think this is the issue is because I can access the website from the laptop and the server PC, but not from any device which is connected directly to the router (aka not going through the laptop).
The IP address I use to connect to the website is: http://192.168.137.244/website/index.html (I have a website folder inside the htdocs folder, which has an index.html file in it), and this address works on the laptop and the server pc.
I have also tried using the :80 and :433 postfix to the address: http://192.168.137.244:80/website/index.html, http://192.168.137.244:433/website/index.html. (433 and 80 are the ports used for the Apache server)

What should I do? There is currently no way for me to hook up the server directly to the router.
The Shroom

XAMPP version: 3.2.2
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate

Re: Can't access website from network

Postby Nobbie » 14. February 2018 22:14

The Shroom wrote:The reason to why I think this is the issue is because I can access the website from the laptop and the server PC, but not from any device which is connected directly to the router (aka not going through the laptop).

Probably. Unfortunately your description lacks some very important facts. What is the IP of the Router when connecting a device directly to the Router via WIfi? What is the IP of the "device" which is connected to the Router, but cannot connect to the server PC? Which IP is configured in the server PC as Gateway for the LAN connection? Which IP is configured in the Wifi Adapter of the Laptop as Gateway for the Wifi? Which Ip is assigned to the LAN Adapter of the Laptop? Which IP is assigned to the WLAN Adapter of the Laptop?
Nobbie

Re: Can't access website from network

Postby zomgmike » 16. February 2018 01:20

When you use internet connection sharing in Windows it sets up a NAT connection if I understand correctly. Your home router also uses NAT. Nested NAT is inadvisable (although sometimes you can get it to work.)

One crazy workaround might be to, and I can't believe I'm suggesting this, set up a VPN from the server->Laptop. That should supersede the nested NAT and make it work.
Mike
zomgmike

XAMPP version: 2.4.2
Operating System: Windows 7

Return to XAMPP for Windows