XAMPP Installation with existing MySQL Server

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP Installation with existing MySQL Server

Postby robupnorth01 » 10. January 2018 22:10

Okay, where do I start...? I've been using XAMPP with Joomla 3.x for a few years but have always suspected that my MySQL server configuration has been a problem. My previous setup only had a single MySQL (from XAMPP) server and my Joomla 3.x dev and a number of apps used this MySQL server instance. Problem was that I preferred not mixing apps (like MediaPortal) using the same MySQL server as I'd like them to be seperate to reduce dependencies. After a recent PC rebuild, I installed a Sun MySQL server which was used by MP and, more recently, installed XAMPP 3.2.2 after a few months absence. I hit a few problems in that the XAMPP installation complained about the Sun MySQL server instance (something along the lines that it expected a different path including XAMPP). After much searching, I found a solution that seemed (but not convinced that it's working properly - details here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15718157/apache-mysql-service-detected-with-wrong-path-ports-already-in-use). Anyway, I currently have both XAMPP Apache and mySQL server running (a different MySQL service based upon the above stackoverflow solution) along with teh previously istalled Sun MySQL server. i.e. XAMPP control panel shows some red-text errors but the MySQL server (and Apache) seem to up and running (green shading) regardless.

The log details from the startup of XAMPP control panel are...

20:23:33 [main] Initializing Modules
20:23:33 [mysql] MySQL Service detected with wrong path
20:23:33 [mysql] Change XAMPP MySQL and Control Panel settings or
20:23:33 [mysql] Uninstall/disable the other service manually first
20:23:33 [mysql] Found Path: "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6\bin\mysqld" MySQL
20:23:33 [mysql] Expected Path: c:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe --defaults-file=c:\xampp\mysql\bin\my.ini mysql
20:23:33 [mysql] Problem detected!
20:23:33 [mysql] Port 3308 in use by "C:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe --defaults-file=c:\xampp\mysql\bin\my.ini mysqlweb"!
20:23:33 [mysql] MySQL WILL NOT start without the configured ports free!
20:23:33 [mysql] You need to uninstall/disable/reconfigure the blocking application
20:23:33 [mysql] or reconfigure MySQL and the Control Panel to listen on a different port
20:23:33 [main] Starting Check-Timer
20:23:33 [main] Control Panel Ready
20:41:15 [Apache] Attempting to start Apache app...
20:41:15 [Apache] Status change detected: running

The brick-wall came when attempting to install a new Joomla 3.x localhost site under XAMPP. I just couldn't configure the Joomla 3.x installation to "see" the correct MySQL server (i.e. The XAMPP one where I'd created a Joomla database and user with appropriate privs) and just kept responding an error indicating that there was a problem with connecting to the MySQL server. ...but which one?

I've created a similar post in the Joomla 3.x forum but think it appropriate to post one here to to try and tie the ends together. If any one can advise or help me get this XAMPP and dual MySQL Server config and installation working then I'd be very grateful. Thanks in anticipation...

Running on Windows 10 latest updates as of today (64 bit)
...with Sun MySQL Server 8.0.3 (service has a dependency on MP TV Server)
...with XAMPP 3.2.2
...with MediaPortal 1.18 release
robupnorth01

XAMPP version: 3.2.2
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: XAMPP Installation with existing MySQL Server

Postby Nobbie » 11. January 2018 11:40

There are two problems which remain (and you probably ran in both of them):

a) you CANNOT run two different Windows Services with the same name. You installed as well Sun MySQL as Xampp MySQL as a Windows Service, but Windows cannot run two services called "MYSQL". As you cannot opt for another service name, this problem is unsolvable. You may start Xampp not as a Service manually.

b) Joomla probably expects a Server listening on Port 3306 (which is default for MySQL), i dont know if you can specify 3308 instead in Joomlas installation setup, if not, you cannot reach Xampps MySQL which runs on 3308 due to your configuration.

MySQl is not mentioned to run more than one instance per PC (as well Apache), therefore you should either buy another PC for your needs, or build two different virtual PCs on your PC with the help of VirtualBox. A used PC from ebay for lets say 50$ would be perfectly sufficient for a Xampp development environment. You dont need to buy a sophisticated gamer machine.
Nobbie

Re: XAMPP Installation with existing MySQL Server

Postby robupnorth01 » 12. January 2018 15:45

Thanks for you feedback. Guess keeping my dev and home theatre (etc) on seperate PCs is what worked before so I'll go back to that. I'd only wondered if things had moved on in the mean time. Thanks again...
robupnorth01

XAMPP version: 3.2.2
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Return to XAMPP for Windows