DB back with Export/Import of phpmyadmin

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

DB back with Export/Import of phpmyadmin

Postby edprochak » 15. November 2017 00:55

I am new to xampp and cannot find this in the FAQ or in a forum search.
(Wondering if there is an operator manual somewhere, but here goes.)

XAMPP 4.5.1 MariaDB 10.1.9 MANTIS 1.2.19 (db version 183)

System is working on a test server, so I want to back up the installed MANTIS bugtracker database as a test before I move in my production database. PHPMYADMIN has Export/Import tabs but there seems to be no instructions on how they work. The Export tab lets you create, update, or delete a "template" for a schema. It has options that you might want to set during the export. So I did create an Export template, named bugtrackerInstall. I even updated it. but going to the Import tab, it asks for a file, but the default folder it opens does not include any files with a name anywhere close to the name bugtrackerInstall. I searched the xampp directory hierarchy and could not find any file with that name.
:?
So what is going on? What is the template and how do I use it? Do I really have to work at the command line with mysql directly for backup/restore? Is there some other way to do Backup/Restore?
TIA,
Ed
edprochak

XAMPP version: 4.5.1
Operating System: MS Windows Server 2008 R2

Re: DB back with Export/Import of phpmyadmin

Postby Nobbie » 15. November 2017 12:18

Forget that template stuff, simply choose a database on the left, then go to Export (skip that template part) and simply hit the "Ok" button at the bottom. This opens a file save dialog which will contain the export file of your database. Store whereever you like (but keep it in mind), later on you have to provide this file for import.

If you are not satisfied by the default export options, you may modify these via "Exportmethod" (there are two options, the upper option is like "Quick" or so, i dont have an english version here) choose the lower one, this opens an addtional form with lots of export options.
Nobbie

Postby edprochak » 15. November 2017 16:27

I thought it had to be something simple. It just was not obvious.
One last note: you mean the "Go" button, i presume.
Thanks for the fast reply!
Ed
edprochak

Postby edprochak » 15. November 2017 16:37

one last question: where are things like this documented? having a forum to ask questions is nice but I usually read the manuals to get started on new software.
Thanks again.
ed
edprochak

Postby Nobbie » 15. November 2017 18:19

edprochak wrote:One last note: you mean the "Go" button, i presume.

Probably - as i said already, i dont have an english version. in my german version it is an "Ok" button. Anyway, its the only button at the bottom.

edprochak wrote:where are things like this documented?

In the documentation?! What about https://www.phpmyadmin.net/docs/ ?!
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows