switch to MySQL

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

switch to MySQL

Postby Programit » 20. October 2017 23:50

Is it possible to replace MariaDB with the proper MySQL in the later versions.
Numerous tools etc do not work with MariaDB and also I like to run the same versions and programs as is run on my servers.
I haven't yet seen any commercial servers offering MariaDB and know it does break some applications.
Xampp was the go, because I could use it off a portable drive, but currently not usable due to Maria and the old versions of Xampp we were using are getting too old.
Also I notice you still advertise that MySQL is installed when it isn't. Maybe you need to change the description on the website to save confusion. :wink:
Programit

XAMPP version: 7.1
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: switch to MySQL

Postby Nobbie » 21. October 2017 10:05

Programit wrote:Is it possible to replace MariaDB with the proper MySQL in the later versions.

SImply dont start MariaDB, install MySQL where you like, start it and run your PHP scripts with the proper credentials for your MySQL Databases. As PHP and MySQL communicate via TCPIP Port 3306, there is no need to "replace" any binarys.

Programit wrote:Numerous tools etc do not work with MariaDB

Could you please tell us which one? I dont know even one, which does not work, even MySQL Workbench from Oracle work with MariaDB in my environment.

Programit wrote:I haven't yet seen any commercial servers offering MariaDB

Did you really look for it? There are tons of big providers offering MariaDB, see https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/web-h ... g-mariadb/

Programit wrote:and know it does break some applications.

Could you please again tell us, which applications you tested and which failed? And for what reasons? I installed all major CMS and Shops etc. on my test Xampp server and they all are running out of the box. Which errors happen in which application?
Nobbie

Postby Programit » 29. October 2017 05:18

MariaDB themselves have a quite lengthy page on incompatibilities at https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/
MariaDB DOESN'T work with mySQL workbench, it gives various errors and won't allow many basic options to work such as user administration etc.
MySql has shown to better performance on most systems and uses more memory. It also shows numerous problems when trying to sync between a live site with MySQL and MariaDB.
Running a separate instance of mySQL with xammp defeats the purpose of xampp in not allowing it to be portable and convenient. At home and work I log on to development servers or VMs that have the full packages. Xampp USE TO allow me to mimic those servers with similar versions on a portable drive so I could easily move to other systems and show clients etc.
End of the day I use mySQL and have done so for many years with out any issues.
Mariadb MIGHT be okay for some, but definitely not for all. MariaDB might be imilar to mySQL but is definitely not identical.
P.S. 30 odd hosts out of a the total world hosting providers is nothing. No MAJOR host here, that I have checked, supports mariadb as is, but of course anyone can install it if they have the mind to and run a VPS or dedicated server like I do, but why when there is issues at this stage.
Programit

Postby Nobbie » 29. October 2017 10:16

Programit wrote:P.S. 30 odd hosts out of a the total world hosting providers is nothing.

1&1 is by far the biggest provider in germany and far from odd. Go trolling somewhere else, *plonk*
Nobbie

Postby Programit » 04. November 2017 02:37

Lots of trolls around here - see why they call you Nobbie - short for Nob head I gather.
Programit

Postby Programit » 04. November 2017 02:50

Anyway to the non - MariaDB followers and for those of us that need to use MySQL - I have found a simple fix for the issue.

Copy the bin folder from a proper mySQL x86 install into the bin folder within mySQL in Xampp. leave the other files in the xampp/mysql/bin folder and copy over the top!

Fire up xampp control and edit the MySQL config file "my.ini""

Comment out the following lines by simply adding a "#" in front.
# key_buffer = 16M

# innodb_additional_mem_pool_size = 2M

Save the changes and run MySQL from the Xammp-Control and it will run the proper MySQL.

P.S. This solved the issues we had with some of our tooling, including Workbench etc.

If it doesn't fire up, then double check that a an existing server is not running on port 3306 etc. IE Maria running as a fake or alternative MySQL service.

I run multiple Servers at times so personally I set the development one to 3307 and the primary as 3306 on my workstation.

This also works fine on the Mobile version of xammp, which was the main issue we had.

Hope this helps some.
Programit

Postby Nobbie » 04. November 2017 12:39

For all non-trolls and non-fools (as a fool with a tool remains a fool), read this (instead of the rubbish written above):

https://seravo.fi/2015/10-reasons-to-mi ... sing-mysql
Nobbie

Postby Programit » 05. November 2017 12:19

What is your problem. You get a cut out of MariaDB or do you simply not understand backward compatibility and freedom of choice.
You failed to point out that that article is 2 year old and one of the thingzs mentioned is "Migration might become difficult after 2015" . Hate to tell you, but its 2017 in my part of the world!
You also fail to mention that MariDB uses more resource, is NOT fully compatable with some of my SQL and why should people be forced to use Maria when mySQL is still well supported and been around forever.
Take your trolling elsewhere and pretend you have a a little understanding of peoples CHOICE.
If you love mariadb and believe their hype well poor you, not everybody wants to change entire server setups and tooling to suit politics.
Xampp is a good tool, or was, and to not give a choice is appalling. Also having trolls etc like you Nob head, does nothing but show the closed view that xampp seems to have been developing.
What is the problem with having a CHOICE?
You'll be happy to know that we are leaving xampp as we're creating our own system similar that allows for CHOICE and VERSATILITY and suits OUR development needs, but I though I would do the RIGHT thing and explain to those that aren't blurry eye mariadb fanatics and show that xampp can be configured to its former glory, if people like to maintain compatabilty with 99% of the mySQL servers out there!
Last thing Nob head, get a life!
Programit

Postby Nobbie » 05. November 2017 19:00

Programit wrote:What is your problem.

What is your problem? Xampp is a free product, it delivers MariaDB and if you do not like it, dont use it. So simple. But dont tell us stupid things why you prefer MySQL - Xampp is not interested in your opinion. So simple again. You are simply a troll. Nothing else.

Programit wrote:You'll be happy to know that we are leaving xampp

Finally. Good Job!
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows