Problems while trying to use Xampp

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Problems while trying to use Xampp

Postby loaoa » 29. September 2017 22:21

Hello,

I have XAMPP Control Panel v3.1.0 Beta 6 compiled in September 20th 2012 in my system and i didn't made a backup and some problems popup. I'm unable to start Apache and MySQL. Every time i try to start them using the XAMPP Control Panel they initialize but then they crash. This has happen a few times in the past but now is permanent.

I have installed for testing the most recent version of XAMPP and it is working fine so the old XAMPP instalation may have some unfixable problems.

What i'm looking here is for help to know which files should i keep and reinstall Xampp and import those files. I know for Apache is the folder htdocs but i don't know for MySQL.

Thanks
loaoa

XAMPP version: 3.1.0
Operating System: Win

Re: Problems while trying to use Xampp

Postby skullboy » 30. September 2017 15:01

You can back up your Msql Database via Phpmyadmin, all you need to do is to select the database username and export it and sometimes your antivirus might cause this issue, so try and analyze your system before you uninstall, thanks.
skullboy

XAMPP version: 1
Operating System: Mac

Postby Nobbie » 30. September 2017 15:32

loaoa wrote:I know for Apache is the folder htdocs but i don't know for MySQL.

At least the whole data folder (i.e. c:/xampp/mysql/data). If you are lucky, you simply may try to replace that whole folder from a new installation with a copy from the old installation. If that does not work, you also may try to install an older Xampp version, which fits to the old release. You will find all releases for download on https://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/ ... 20Windows/

Again try to replace to whole data folder. If that still does not work, you have a serious problem. It should work. After a successfull installation, you definately should do an export of your databases with the help of PhpMyAdmin. That finally gives you a portable file format (*.sql) which contains all databases and tables in SQL file format (including CREATE TABLE statements etc.).

Last not least, if unsure about which files to backup, simply backup the whole (old) c:/xampp folder. Its better to backup too much, than to overlook anything.
Nobbie

Postby loaoa » 01. October 2017 01:13

Thanks Nobbie it works,

I installed xampp-win32-7.0.16-0-VC14 and copied

Code: Select all
xampp/htdocs
xampp/mysql/data

to the new instalation and it's all working fine.
loaoa

XAMPP version: 3.1.0
Operating System: Win

Postby Nobbie » 01. October 2017 09:54

So that was easy... (its not always, as sometimes the MySQL file formats arent compatible from older to newer version, depending on how old the backuped version is). Therefore i recommended to do an export of you data.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows