Using Network Drive databases

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Using Network Drive databases

Postby Coastalguy » 19. June 2017 20:53

Have posted this before, but now different problem I want to use central databases stored on a network drive, between a laptop and desktop PC. Desktop wired, Laptop wireless to router. Files on HD (C:\xampp\mysql\data and those on network drive exactly the same.

With datadir set to C:\Xampp\mysql\data, both computers load mysql ok. Service for mysql not running on either computer.

With the datadir set to network path (\\192.168.0.2....) will not work on either. Mapped network drive to a drive letter on the Laptop, setting datadir to it, and Mysql started with no problem. Mapped network drive to the same drive letter on the Desktop, changing datadir to the exact same mapped path and mysql will not start.

Laptop loads mysql ok with both computers on, so no conflict. But thinking maybe a conflict on desktop with both on, turned off Laptop but mysql still will not load on desktop.

Why laptop loads pid and port ok, and desktop will not, set to the same mapped drive and datadir set to the exact same path, I haven't a clue?
Coastalguy

XAMPP version: 1.7.7
Operating System: Windows 10 Home Premium

Re: Using Network Drive databases

Postby Nobbie » 19. June 2017 21:46

Different firewalls? Different users on laptop/desktop? Different rights? Different rights to access the network drive??

Different IP ranges for WLAN / LAN? What is the WLAN IP of the laptop, what is the LAN IP of the desktop?

There so many option that can go wrong, you have to check all of them.
Nobbie

Postby Coastalguy » 26. June 2017 23:26

Same firewall, user, rights, IP the same etc. I already have several other apps where I use the central NAS files on both successfully. I can also access the NAS databases using the desktop's file explorer, under both the network path and the mapped z:\ drive. Both Laptop and Desktop mapped with Z: drive, Laptop works, desktop, no.
As for the IP address, I am not using the network path with the IP address, as this wouldn't work on either. But with successful mapped Z: drives on both, having worked on one, not sure why it wouldn't work on other.
Coastalguy

Postby Nobbie » 27. June 2017 09:38

Coastalguy wrote:But with successful mapped Z: drives on both, having worked on one, not sure why it wouldn't work on other.

There is a reason for it. If you run MySQL as a service on any of your two devices, that WOULD NOT run. So if you run MySQL as a service on your Desktop, that does not run. And if you run MySQL not as a service on your laptop, it does run. Maybe thats the problem here?

The reason: a mapped drive letter is only valid for the current logged in User (for example "coastalguy"). But a service is NOT started from your UserID, it is started from the "SYSTEM" User. And the "SYSTEM" User does not know your mapped drives, i.e. it will fail to open anything on Z:, because Z: is unknown to the SYSTEM User. Check your Xampp installations, if they are running as service or not (thats an option in the Xampp Control Dialog).
Nobbie

Postby Coastalguy » 27. June 2017 16:58

Mysql is not running as a service on either, only Apache is on both.
Coastalguy

Postby Nobbie » 27. June 2017 17:09

Then i cannot help anymore, i cannot see the desktop, neither the laptop and at this stage its impossible to find out, what is responsible for the different behaviour.
Nobbie

Postby Coastalguy » 27. June 2017 17:23

Nobbie, Thanks appreciate the try.
Coastalguy

Postby Coastalguy » 29. June 2017 21:56

On the desktop that would not connect to the databases on the NAS drive, I uninstalled Xampp and re-installed it, then copying the new database setup files in c:\xampp\mysql\data to the NAS database drive, overwriting those files there. Apparently one or more of the database setup files I was using was corrupted (or something), which was fixed by my copying the new setup files over them. Once I reset the database password to what it was, everything connected and worked fine. Apparently had nothing to do with Windows security, users or whatever!!! I still wish that the network path (\\192.168.0.2\....) would work instead of having to map it to a drive letter though.
Coastalguy

Return to XAMPP for Windows