Windows cannot find '-n' - Installation error

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Windows cannot find '-n' - Installation error

Postby trallawan » 22. November 2016 19:36

Hi. I'm a bit upset since I can't deal with this error. Right during the package installation I get this error:

Windows cannot find '-n'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Well, I had a previous version of Xampp installed in a custom folder, and never got any problem (3 I think). When I decided to upgrade I got this error. Until now I haven't found any affective solution in the web. Some say I have to uninstall the old version Xampp installation. Done that but it did nothing. Also I tried other "solutions" provided by Microsoft. Nothing.

I thank any support you can give on the matter.
trallawan

XAMPP version: 7.0.13
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Windows cannot find '-n' - Installation error

Postby Nobbie » 23. November 2016 12:37

trallawan wrote: Some say I have to uninstall the old version Xampp installation. Done that but it did nothing

It should. Check carefully if the old Xampp folder has been removed totally. And dont "decide to upgrade", there is NO upgrade procedure (neither an installation file) and installing a new Xampp over an existing Xampp screws up your PC (as it already happened).
Nobbie

Postby trallawan » 30. November 2016 11:15

I erased the old Xampp folder. I know this is not upgradeable. I created a new folder even with a different name. Nothing worked. I still got the error at the end of the installation. Anyways I decided to ignore the error, Xampp seems to work fine regardless that error. I only hope there is no error related to this waiting for it's momento to pop up...

I guarantee, no trace of the old xamp installation exists in the folder. That solution never worked for me.

Thanks.
trallawan

XAMPP version: 7.0.13
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby Nobbie » 30. November 2016 11:39

If unsure, you might install Xampp from a ZIP Package instead using the installer. Simply unpack that package onto c:/xampp. You can find a *.zip and a *.7z container on sourceforge, for example here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/ ... ws/5.6.28/
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows