Xampp 5.6.21 won't install in Windows 10 Pro

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp 5.6.21 won't install in Windows 10 Pro

Postby kennyb » 15. June 2016 19:26

Hi,

When trying to install 5.6.21 in Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro), I get a dialog with the xampp logo in the top left and title "Warning".

I currently have 1.8.3 installed in C:\xampp183 and am attempting to install 5.6.21 in C:\xampp5621.

Is it a problem to still have 1.8.3 installed on the same computer? I have some good config including virtual hostnames and https working and have some significant databases on the mysql server, so I wanted to keep that stuff.

The dialog says "Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly Installation failed (php.exe). Perhaps you have to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable package. After that please execute the setup_xampp.bat in the xampp folder manually."

After that I get an error dialog with '-n' in the title and a big red cross under it and to the left of "Windows cannot find '-n'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

Basically then nothing works.

I ran the installer as administrator.

I do have the redistributable package and I

I checked a bunch of the config files - like http.conf, php.ini, my.ini, ... and they had /xampp/... in the places where my old 1.8.3 install had C:/xampp183/... I did manually change /xampp/... to C:/xampp5621/... to try and get things to work, but it didn't help.

I've used quite a number of xampp versions for quite a few years and have always been able to get things to work when I encountered issues, but I'm stumped with this.

Any ideas?

thanks
kennyb

XAMPP version: 5.6.21
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Re: Xampp 5.6.21 won't install in Windows 10 Pro

Postby jtv » 05. July 2016 23:00

Dear kennyb

Have you still got this problem?

I ask, because I noticed your post has not been looked at.
jtv

XAMPP version: v3.2.2
Operating System: Win10

Return to XAMPP for Windows