Just installed and cannot create file xampp-control.ini

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Just installed and cannot create file xampp-control.ini

Postby notuo » 09. June 2016 17:22

Hi.

First, thank for the time looking at this.

I had installed xampp in this W10 laptop but I was unable to run it effectively. Some issue with blocked ports. I reviewed the post regarding skype and apparently I had everything I need but no luck running apache, so I decided to install a new version from scratch and build upon it.

I downloaded just now: xampp-win32-5.6.21-0-VC11-installer.exe and tried to start xampp-cpanel and I fount the mentioned error. I reviewed and everything looks fine but this. I installed in a partition of my disk: e:\xampp as I had done other times.

After this error I tried to star the "old" version and this happened again after I tried to change the debug info in order to get more information about the blocked ports, so something is kind of wrong here.

I installed xampp as administrator, I disabled my antivirus for the install and I got the UAC warning as well

You can see this error window as just xampp-cpanel starts just after the language selection window.

https://app.box.com/s/bx3r8jolx04p08esd6duqnyx39qun5wf

Any advice is appreciated.
notuo

XAMPP version: 7.4.16
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Just installed and cannot create file xampp-control.ini

Postby gsmith » 09. June 2016 19:35

Did you start the control panel as Administrator? You mention installing as Administrator but not the control panel.
gsmith

XAMPP version: 0.0.0
Operating System: Win 10/2012R VS 14,15,16

Re: Just installed and cannot create file xampp-control.ini

Postby notuo » 11. June 2016 18:12

Hi.

You are correct. Running cpanel as administrator solved it. However, I had another machine in which I installed xampp normal (i.e. no administrator rights) and works fine as is, not using administrator at all.

Thanks for the tip, it is working now in this machine.
notuo

XAMPP version: 7.4.16
Operating System: Windows 10

Return to XAMPP for Windows