Required Tool catalina_service.bat Not Found!

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Required Tool catalina_service.bat Not Found!

Postby hbograd » 26. May 2016 00:21

I'm trying to find out how to get a copy of cataline_service.bat, and where to put it.

I downloaded and installed Xampp (control panel 3.2.2) on a Windows 10 computer with Adobe Dreamweaver CS5.

At first, Xampp warned me of several problems, which I think I've now solved by going on Google and finding out what to do: I needed to run the control panel as an administrator, I needed to end the World Wide Web Publishing Service that was using port 80. Then it said it couldn't find catalina_start.bat and cataline_stop.bat. Looking online, I found that these batch files were in my c:/xampp/tomcat folder, and on a hunch I copied them to my c:/xampp folder as well.

Now, when I run Xampp, I get this feedback:

3:56:58 PM [main] Initializing Control Panel
3:56:58 PM [main] Windows Version: Home 64-bit
3:56:58 PM [main] XAMPP Version: ???
3:56:58 PM [main] Control Panel Version: 3.2.2 [ Compiled: Nov 12th 2015 ]
3:56:58 PM [main] Running with Administrator rights - good!
3:56:58 PM [main] XAMPP Installation Directory: "c:\xampp\"
3:56:58 PM [main] Checking for prerequisites
3:56:58 PM [main] All prerequisites found
3:56:58 PM [main] Initializing Modules
3:56:58 PM [Tomcat] Problem detected: Required Tool catalina_service.bat Not Found!
3:56:58 PM [main] Starting Check-Timer
3:56:58 PM [main] Control Panel Ready

When I used "search everything" to find catalina_service.bat on my computer, I only found one copy dated 2013 in my recycle bin. I was hesitant to use that without advice from someone who understands what is happening here. (I just realized that it has the same date as catalina_start.bat and catalina_stop.bat - but when I then tried to restore it from the recycle bin, nothing happened).

Can someone tell me what to do next to get Xampp working as a testing server on my computer?

I'm a 73 year-old self-taught computer user since 1983, relatively fearless, but I never heard of tomcat until yesterday, I have no experience with Java or Javascript (if these are relevant), and I am not a programmer or a developer. I just want to be able to use Dreamweaver to edit a page and see what a page will look like before I upload it - our site uses .php.
hbograd

XAMPP version: 3.2.2
Operating System: Windows 10

Return to XAMPP for Windows