FileZilla "Invalid character sequence received..."

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

FileZilla "Invalid character sequence received..."

Postby Xzahn » 22. May 2016 14:28

Hi all,

I've installed and configured XAMPP for Windows 10. Unfortunately I'm experiencing a problem I once did on another machine. When I try to connect with FZ client to the server I get this message:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: FZS
Response: 
Response: A
Response: 
Response: 
Response: 
Status: Invalid character sequence received, disabling UTF-8. Select UTF-8 option in site manager to force UTF-8.
Response: Ü5Ç×ÿÿœd
Error: Could not connect to server

I did force UTF-8 in site manager. I also changed the welcome message. Nothing works and I can't find any similar problems anywhere. I do not have problems connecting to a FTP server though.
Xzahn

XAMPP version: 3.2.2
Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise

Re: FileZilla "Invalid character sequence received..."

Postby Xzahn » 27. May 2016 21:01

Any ideas guys? :roll:
Xzahn

Postby Nobbie » 27. May 2016 21:32

Xzahn wrote:and I can't find any similar problems anywhere.

Why not??

If i enter the error message into Google, i get a whole bunch of needfull links. Seems that you are using special characters in your filenames/pathnames (like french accents, german umlaut or similar), which is not encoded in UTF8 (that depends on your Operating System and Filesystem). Do not use different characters than simply alphanumeric characters for directories and files.
Nobbie

Postby Xzahn » 27. May 2016 22:31

Nobbie wrote:
Why not??

If i enter the error message into Google, i get a whole bunch of needfull links. Seems that you are using special characters in your filenames/pathnames (like french accents, german umlaut or similar), which is not encoded in UTF8 (that depends on your Operating System and Filesystem). Do not use different characters than simply alphanumeric characters for directories and files.

I connect without problem to a real server with the same files on it. And unless underscore is such a character, I do not have any. I checked everything I've thought about. :roll:
Xzahn

Postby Nobbie » 28. May 2016 10:24

Xzahn wrote:I connect without problem to a real server with the same files on it.

That does not matter anyhow. "Same files" means nothing. Important is the FileSystem, the Operating System and the names of the folders and files. As you dont provide any information, nobody can give a hint. We dont know the Port you applied, we dont know the servername, we dont know the Userlogin, we dont know filenames, pathnames, we simply know nothing.

P.S.: Did you check this one https://forum.filezilla-project.org/vie ... hp?t=11982 ?
Nobbie

Postby Xzahn » 28. May 2016 15:09

If I knew what could cause the problem I'd probably solve it by myself. That is why I'm asking here, because I don't. Also I would gladly provide any information.

FZ Server version: 0.9.41 beta
Server: 127.0.0.1
Port: 14147

FZ Client version: 3.18.0
Logging with the same credentials and username: xzahn

XAMPP directory is: E:\XAMPP

EDIT: Just for the kicks, I tried to enter with port 21 and it worked. Why is that?
Xzahn

Postby Nobbie » 30. May 2016 10:15

Xzahn wrote:EDIT: Just for the kicks, I tried to enter with port 21 and it worked. Why is that?

Maybe due to a firewall, maybe due to tool like Norton or whatever. Maybe due to another tool listening on that port etc. etc. etc. Port 21 is the default FTP Port and is known for that.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows