A few questions about Moodle, Barracuda ...

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

A few questions about Moodle, Barracuda ...

Postby xprt007 » 13. April 2016 12:06

Hi there

I installed Moodle recently on shared hosting, which as most it seems do use antilope database, whereas Moodle recommends Barracuda. As you know, shared hosting offers limited options ... For a couple reasons, using VPS, although it seems most Moodle users use it, is out for now, but a change MIGHT be necessary in future. The site works well for now & is in the process of starting to get used for production purposes.

I asked in the Moodle forum forum, whether it is possible to convert if need be an antilope DB to Barracuda & was given this link https://ttcshelbyville.wordpress.com/2015/04/19/mysql-antelope-and-barracuda-moodle/.

I am NEW to all this, so please bear with me, even in the way you answer & the vocabulary used.
I guess in the above example a Windows based server is used.

In case I get a copy of this Moodle website installed locally on my Windows 10 PC on Xampp:
is it possible to convert the downloaded Moodle antilope DB to Barracuda at all in this Xampp installation? If so, exactly how? What commands are used & WHERE, on which Xampp interface is this done?
Is it possible to upload this converted DB in that case back to the SHARED server?
Oh, ... in a Cpanel-based structure, the main Moodle folder is in /public_html/moodle, but there is another key Moodle folder "moodledata", which is at /moodledata/, at the same level as /public_html ... looking like
.../public_html/moodle
moodledata/public_html

I know "moodle" should be in "public_html", which is equivalent to " \xampp\htdocs" in Xampp. Where though should "moodledata", which should be outside the web folder htdocs be, in "\xampp\"?

Thank you in advance
xprt007

XAMPP version: v5.6.19
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: A few questions about Moodle, Barracuda ...

Postby JJ_Tagy » 13. April 2016 16:49

xprt007 wrote:I know "moodle" should be in "public_html", which is equivalent to " \xampp\htdocs" in Xampp. Where though should "moodledata", which should be outside the web folder htdocs be, in "\xampp\"?

Yes, that is the standard location. As for the database format, I don't see any issues running moodle on the antelope. Seems more like a suggestion than a requirement.
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Return to XAMPP for Windows