xampp 7 portable

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

xampp 7 portable

Postby thjbd » 24. December 2015 05:39

when i run xampp-control.exe i get
"10:28:19 AM [main] Initializing Control Panel
10:28:19 AM [main] Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
10:28:19 AM [main] XAMPP Version: 7.0.0
10:28:19 AM [main] Control Panel Version: 3.2.2 [ Compiled: Nov 12th 2015 ]
10:28:19 AM [main] Running with Administrator rights - good!
10:28:19 AM [main] XAMPP Installation Directory: "d:\xampp7\"
10:28:19 AM [main] Checking for prerequisites
10:28:19 AM [main] All prerequisites found
10:28:19 AM [main] Initializing Modules
10:28:19 AM [main] The FileZilla module is disabled
10:28:19 AM [main] The Mercury module is disabled
10:28:19 AM [main] Starting Check-Timer
10:28:19 AM [main] Control Panel Ready
10:28:25 AM [Apache] Attempting to start Apache app...
10:28:25 AM [Apache] Status change detected: running
10:28:26 AM [Apache] Status change detected: stopped
10:28:26 AM [Apache] Error: Apache shutdown unexpectedly.
10:28:26 AM [Apache] This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies,
10:28:26 AM [Apache] improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.
10:28:26 AM [Apache] Press the Logs button to view error logs and check
10:28:26 AM [Apache] the Windows Event Viewer for more clues
10:28:26 AM [Apache] If you need more help, copy and post this
10:28:26 AM [Apache] entire log window on the forums
"
and if i run setup_xampp.bat i get
"Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function eregi_replace() in D:\xampp7\install\install.php:34
Stack trace:
#0 {main}
thrown in D:\xampp7\install\install.php on line 34
Press any key to continue . . ."

what is the mistake i am making?
there is nothing in apache,php error log!
currently i have another portable xampp 5.6.14 but i am turning off properly 5.6.14 before running 7.
thjbd
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 15. June 2013 07:31
Operating System: Linux Mint KDE

Re: xampp 7 portable

Postby Nobbie » 24. December 2015 12:15

I think this a bug in the setup_xampp.bat script, because it calls the PHP Script install.php, which contains a call to the function "eregi_replace()". This function has been removed from PHP7. You should write a bug report to Bitnami, they probably overlooked that one.
Nobbie
 
Posts: 8772
Joined: 09. March 2008 13:04

Re: xampp 7 portable

Postby Altrea » 24. December 2015 13:02

I have reported that issue to the XAMPP developers.
The old eregi functions are removed in PHP 7 so they need to be replaced by the preg_ functions
We don't provide any support via personal channels like PM, email, Skype, TeamViewer!

It's like porn for programmers 8)
User avatar
Altrea
AF Moderator
 
Posts: 8294
Joined: 17. August 2009 13:05
XAMPP version: several
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: xampp 7 portable

Postby Joergi » 26. December 2015 19:42

The file install/install.php is full of removed functions. Not only eregi_... functions, but also the ereg_... calls need to be converted to preg_... calls. These are only the ones, which I spotted quickly - there may be more fatal errors in there.

These bugs, which break the installation routines, basically make XAMPP 7.0.0 unusable.
Joergi
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 16. August 2015 21:12
Operating System: W

Re: xampp 7 portable

Postby Nobbie » 26. December 2015 23:03

Joergi wrote:These bugs, which break the installation routines, basically make XAMPP 7.0.0 unusable.


This is nonsense, i never used setup_xampp.bat for my many many many many Xampp installations. Only if you need to run setup_xampp.bat, it collides with the missing PHP functions. Anyway, it is a job of 3 minutes to replace the eregi_XXXXX functions by preg_XXXXX functions. For someone who is working with Xampp and "needs" PHP7, it should be very easy to convert install.php to PHP7.
Nobbie
 
Posts: 8772
Joined: 09. March 2008 13:04

Re: xampp 7 portable

Postby Joergi » 26. December 2015 23:26

Nobbie wrote:This is nonsense, i never used setup_xampp.bat for my many many many many Xampp installations. Only if you need to run setup_xampp.bat, it collides with the missing PHP functions.


Right, setup_xampp.bat only does not work, when you try to use it. :wink:

No, joking apart: At least with the ZIP package and the 7z package you just don't have the right paths in the configuration files, if you don't run setup_xampp.bat. Without this broken script, at least the ZIP and 7z packages are unusable. (I have not checked other packages, but if I had to guess, I would say that the installer exe runs this script as well.)
Joergi
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 16. August 2015 21:12
Operating System: W

Re: xampp 7 portable

Postby Nobbie » 26. December 2015 23:37

Joergi wrote:Without this broken script, at least the ZIP and 7z packages are unusable.


As i said, i installed Xampp many many many times and it always installs flawlessly. And still, it is very easy to replace eregi_xxxx by preg_xxxx.

Joergi wrote:I have not checked other packages, but if I had to guess, I would say that the installer exe runs this script as well.)


And how to you explain the first topic here, that someone successfully has installed Xampp 7 (but later on Apache failed to start in xampp-control.exe)?
Nobbie
 
Posts: 8772
Joined: 09. March 2008 13:04

Re: xampp 7 portable

Postby Joergi » 26. December 2015 23:51

Nobbie wrote:As i said, i installed Xampp many many many times and it always installs flawlessly.


Yes, for me prior versions installed fine as well. 7.0.0 doesn't.

Nobbie wrote:And how to you explain the first topic here, that someone successfully has installed Xampp 7 (but later on Apache failed to start in xampp-control.exe)?


I do not know, what other people do. Maybe these people did not follow the installation instructions. This would also explain why they had a broken system further down the road. Or maybe they by chance had one of the few usecases, in which running this script is not necessary. However, I do not have such a usecase. I need to run the script and the script is broken.
Joergi
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 16. August 2015 21:12
Operating System: W

Re: xampp 7 portable

Postby Altrea » 27. December 2015 00:18

All zipped versions works very well without executing setup_xampp.bat if extracted in the root directory (at path C:\xampp\, D:\xampp\, etc.)
I am not sure (because not tested), but the installer version should have exactly the same problem. If i remember correctly it uses the setup_xampp.bat script too at the end of the installation process to set the paths.
We don't provide any support via personal channels like PM, email, Skype, TeamViewer!

It's like porn for programmers 8)
User avatar
Altrea
AF Moderator
 
Posts: 8294
Joined: 17. August 2009 13:05
XAMPP version: several
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: xampp 7 portable

Postby Nobbie » 27. December 2015 11:33

Altrea wrote: If i remember correctly it uses the setup_xampp.bat script too at the end of the installation process to set the paths.


I just downloaded Xampp7 on a Windows machine, started the installer, everything installs fine, no error message, nothing went wrong, finally i started Apache and MySQL successfully and last not least i started a browser and localhost showed up "Welcome to Xampp for Windows 7.0.0.".

@Joergi: what is meant by "unusable" and what am i doing wrong?

I also checked install.php and there are the still the invalid eregi_xxxx calls, so my download is not fixed, but it it installs flawlessly and FAR FROM unusable.
Nobbie
 
Posts: 8772
Joined: 09. March 2008 13:04

Re: xampp 7 portable

Postby Nobbie » 27. December 2015 12:19

For those, who needs to run setup_xampp.bat, here is a fix:

a) proceed to c:/xampp (or where you have installed xampp), changedir into "install" directory

b) edit the file install.php

c) on the first line of install.php you will see the PHP open tag "<?php". Copy & paste the following code under this open tag (click "SELECT ALL" and then Ctrl.+C to copy the full code):

Code: Select all
   function eregi_replace($pattern, $replacement, $subject) {
      $preg_pattern = '~'.$pattern.'~i';
      return preg_replace($preg_pattern, $replacement, $subject);
   }

   function ereg_replace($pattern, $replacement, $subject) {
      $preg_pattern = '~'.$pattern.'~';
      return preg_replace($preg_pattern, $replacement, $subject);
   }

   function eregi($pattern, $subject) {
      $preg_pattern = '~'.$pattern.'~i';
      return preg_match($preg_pattern, $subject);
   }


d) save install.php and try to run setup_xampp.bat
Nobbie
 
Posts: 8772
Joined: 09. March 2008 13:04

Re: xampp 7 portable

Postby Joergi » 27. December 2015 14:23

Altrea wrote:[...]the installer version should have exactly the same problem. If i remember correctly it uses the setup_xampp.bat script too at the end of the installation process to set the paths.


I have not tested that as well, but it would only be logical, if for the same task it used the same code.
Joergi
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 16. August 2015 21:12
Operating System: W

Re: xampp 7 portable

Postby Joergi » 27. December 2015 14:28

Thanks for posting this workaround. I got my install working by adjusting the new configuration according to the configuration files, which I had used for an older version of XAMPP.

Nobbie wrote:@Joergi: what is meant by "unusable" and what am i doing wrong?


Try installing XAMPP in any folder, which is not directly in the root of a drive. The result is that, without updating the configuration files, wrong paths are in your config. This makes the servers crash during startup.
Joergi
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 16. August 2015 21:12
Operating System: W

Re: xampp 7 portable

Postby Nobbie » 28. December 2015 09:42

Joergi wrote:
Altrea wrote:[...]the installer version should have exactly the same problem. If i remember correctly it uses the setup_xampp.bat script too at the end of the installation process to set the paths.


I have not tested that as well, but it would only be logical, if for the same task it used the same code.


I have tested that and your suggestion is WRONG. It is NOT called.
Nobbie
 
Posts: 8772
Joined: 09. March 2008 13:04

Re: xampp 7 portable

Postby Nobbie » 28. December 2015 09:48

Joergi wrote:Try installing XAMPP in any folder, which is not directly in the root of a drive. The result is that, without updating the configuration files, wrong paths are in your config. This makes the servers crash during startup.


Simply install it to the recommended folder c:/xampp and it is perfectly usable. It is your problem only and not a totally "unusable" Xampp. The default installations (as well .exe as .gzip) are working perfectly out of the box.
Nobbie
 
Posts: 8772
Joined: 09. March 2008 13:04

Next

Return to XAMPP for Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests