[SOLVED] XAMPP installs fine, but I'm denied Admin rights

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

[SOLVED] XAMPP installs fine, but I'm denied Admin rights

Postby quantumdude » 11. November 2015 00:19

Hello XAMPPers! :-D

I'm trying to get going with Drupal, but I'm hamstrung by difficulties with XAMPP. I was able to successfully install XAMPP, and I was able to start both Apache and MySQL. However, I keep getting the warning that I do not have administrative rights. Very well. So I right-clicked on the icon for the XAMPP console, and clicked Run As Administrator. Even worse. The console starts up with red X's to the left of Apache and MySQL. In either case, when I click on the "Admin" button, I am not led to localhost/XAMPP. Instead, I'm led to localhost/Dashboard, and when I type in localhost/XAMPP manually, I don't get the Admin page. I should mention that I installed XAMPP on another laptop on the same WiFi network, and it worked perfectly. But that laptop is about to bite the dust, and I wanted to move my work over to a new one. Is it possible that Admin rights were granted to the old computer, and I must re-assign them to the new one? If so, how would I do that?

I'm using XAMPP version 5.6.14, from https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html on a laptop that uses Windows 8.1, and I'm using the installation path C:\xampp\.

Thanks for reading!

-QD
Last edited by quantumdude on 13. November 2015 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
quantumdude

Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: XAMPP installs fine, but I'm denied Admin rights

Postby JJ_Tagy » 11. November 2015 02:52

quantumdude wrote:I keep getting the warning that I do not have administrative rights.

So it is a warning. Read what it says and you will see why it is only a warning.

quantumdude wrote:The console starts up with red X's to the left of Apache and MySQL.

That is for services. In this case, a red X isn't a bad thing.

quantumdude wrote:when I click on the "Admin" button, I am not led to localhost/XAMPP.

Read some of the latest discussion. The old out-of-date scripts were replaced with the dashboard. In all installations (old/new) clicking on the Admin button just opens http://localhost/index.php which, by default, has a redirect to the XAMPP admin pages (orange or dashboard). If you don't want that behavior, replace the stock files with your own work.

quantumdude wrote:I wanted to move my work over to a new one.

XAMPP was built so you can move the entire folder over without any dependencies. Just move your old stuff over to the new computer. WARNING: Don't copy over a new installation or any silliness like that.
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby quantumdude » 11. November 2015 03:22

Thanks for your reply, JJ_Tagy!

JJ_Tagy wrote:Read some of the latest discussion. The old out-of-date scripts were replaced with the dashboard. In all installations (old/new) clicking on the Admin button just opens http://localhost/index.php which, by default, has a redirect to the XAMPP admin pages (orange or dashboard). If you don't want that behavior, replace the stock files with your own work.

I do want the orange dashboard. That's what I was taken to when I clicked the Admin button under the Apache service on my older computer. On the new computer, I get a white "Welcome to XAMPP for Windows 5.6.14" screen. I'd like to know how to get that dashboard back.

JJ_Tagy wrote:XAMPP was built so you can move the entire folder over without any dependencies. Just move your old stuff over to the new computer. WARNING: Don't copy over a new installation or any silliness like that.

I completely uninstalled XAMPP from the old laptop and tried to start from scratch on the new laptop. Is there a fix from that point?

Thanks again!

-QD
quantumdude

Postby quantumdude » 11. November 2015 06:08

Hi again,

I re-installed XAMPP on the old laptop, copied the XAMPP folder to the new laptop like you said, and restarted the new laptop. Now it's purring like a kitten. Problem solved. 8)

Thanks!

-QD
quantumdude

Return to XAMPP for Windows