Xampp +windows 8.1 => messed up paths

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp +windows 8.1 => messed up paths

Postby lassinni » 14. October 2015 13:16

Hello! I was developing wordpress site with kirki toolkit when i ran to problem that now has been partially solved. I still prefer to sent error info to you guys because it still haunts my and others development. Basically here is what plugin developer said about windows and xampp: "The problem is that XAMPP is using a Windows server, while all your live servers are linux-based (thank god!!)
Windows + XAMPP however is a setup so messed-up, that the file paths get actually messed up completely! So sometimes it uses \ and other times it uses /."
Could you fix this problem.

https://github.com/aristath/kirki/issues/427
lassinni

Operating System: Win 8.1 64bit

Re: Xampp +windows 8.1 => messed up paths

Postby Nobbie » 14. October 2015 13:22

lassinni wrote:"The problem is that XAMPP is using a Windows server, while all your live servers are linux-based (thank god!!)
Windows + XAMPP however is a setup so messed-up, that the file paths get actually messed up completely! So sometimes it uses \ and other times it uses /."
Could you fix this problem.

That is YOUR problem, not a Xampp Problem:

1) First of all, Xampp is also available for Linux, it is your choice of Windows or Linux

2) You may also use a Linux distribution without Xampp, if you like to do so.

Finally, even Xampp for Windows doe not "mess up" anything, neither paths nor something else. There is no STANDARD or DEFAULT path for MySQl, Apache and PHP and Xampp simply puts everything under the Xampp folder, very likely to a Linux installation. What is meant by "messed up"??

lassinni wrote:Could you fix this problem.

https://github.com/aristath/kirki/issues/427

That is not a Xampp issue. I dont think that someone from bitnami (or from this forum) will solve foreign problems.

The problem is NOT Xampp, the "problem" (it is no problem in fact, but there is bad software out there like WP) is, that WIndows allows '/' and '\' both as a Directory limiter. This is well known. But obviously, there are tools out there, which are buggy and do not recognize BOTH characters as an limiter. That is the problem. You should use Linux, if you want to avoid such problems. See above, there is a Xampp Linux version as well, Xampp is NOT bound to Windows (this is simply WRONG).
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows