Apache fails to respond about 20% of the time

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache fails to respond about 20% of the time

Postby maxnugget » 18. September 2015 17:44

Been having this problem for about a year, it's extremely frustrating.

When loading any page locally on my computer running XAMPP, about 20% of the time, Chrome (and other browsers) will just sit there with "Connecting..." in the status bar and eventually time out. Sometimes when it happens I have to reload the page like 5 times to get it to connect.

I've tried reinstalling XAMPP, upgrading to newer versions, etc. Cant' seem to figure anything out. I don't know where to start troubleshooting this. The timed-out requests are not appearing in any of the main Apache log files (access.log., error.log, php_errror.log). I'm totally stumped. I don't have this problem on my laptop install of XAMPP.

Any suggestions?
maxnugget
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 02. March 2015 04:30
Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Re: Apache fails to respond about 20% of the time

Postby maxnugget » 25. September 2015 00:13

No responses? This is killing me...
maxnugget
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 02. March 2015 04:30
Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Re: Apache fails to respond about 20% of the time

Postby JJ_Tagy » 25. September 2015 00:30

What AV are you using? Perhaps it stalls when checking safety of site.

Other thoughts: HDD, RAM, NIC.
JJ_Tagy
 
Posts: 678
Joined: 30. January 2012 13:44
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: Apache fails to respond about 20% of the time

Postby Nobbie » 25. September 2015 11:17

Mostly problems of this kind happen due to certain hardware/software environments.

It may depend on the Xampp installation itself (where is Xampp installed?), it may depend on some network issues, it may depend on the installed PHP Scripts etc.pp. Unfortunately, you do not tell anything (not even one bit) about your environment, this makes it definately completely impossible to give any hint or clue. I really know NOTHING about your local installation.
Nobbie
 
Posts: 8775
Joined: 09. March 2008 13:04

Re: Apache fails to respond about 20% of the time

Postby melius2 » 25. September 2015 22:17

It looks like a network issue, maybe a NAT problem, have you tried changing Apache default port from 80 to other to see if you can replicate the issue?
.
melius2
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 21. September 2015 02:16
XAMPP version: 5.5.34
Operating System: Windows 8

Re: Apache fails to respond about 20% of the time

Postby maxnugget » 28. September 2015 02:12

Sorry about the lack of details. Here's my setup

AMD A8-660K APU
Windows 7
16GB RAM
Hard drive: Samsung EVO 850 250GB
XAMPP 5.6.12 (though I've had this problem with older versions over the course of the past year or so)
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials but I have the real-time protection disabled



The problem occurs even when I try to access XAMPP sites from the computer XAMPP is running on.

It happens on every site I work on (I've got about a dozen sites on my local machine). I'm working on trying to rule out whether it ever happens on requests that don't involve mysql, I'll update this thread if I figure that out. It definitely happens regularly on sites using PHP and mysql. These sites are typically running Joomla 3.4 but I believe it has happened on non-Joomla sites as well.

I'm just at a loss for how to begin to troubleshoot this, having already tried checking the logs, etc.
maxnugget
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 02. March 2015 04:30
Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Re: Apache fails to respond about 20% of the time

Postby maxnugget » 13. October 2015 10:53

melius2 wrote:It looks like a network issue, maybe a NAT problem, have you tried changing Apache default port from 80 to other to see if you can replicate the issue?


Ok, so for all the sites I work on, I set a subdomain of my company's domain (i.e. acmepaint.mycompany.com) to point to my public IP, which my router then NATs to my local development workstation which is running XAMPP.

For whatever reason I decided to try adding a hosts file override to map those subdomains to 127.0.0.1, and viola! The problem disappeared instantly. I'm not sure if people outside of my office are still having intermittent issues, but I don't really care as that's a secondary concern for me.

So, thanks for the suggestion, which led me to the above idea. This is (seemingly) the end of a year+ nightmare that has made my development work absolutely miserable.

Thanks!
maxnugget
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 02. March 2015 04:30
Operating System: Windows 7 x64


Return to XAMPP for Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests