Whenever I run an elevated batch command, or directly in an elevated command prompt, logresolve immediately crashes but the access.log.resolved file is generated.
I've spent the greater part of the last 2 days trying to figure out this problem.
Operating Systems tried on: Windows 7 and Windows 10.
User accounts used are Administrator.
The Batch command I created has progressed from running logresolve directly from the bin folder to having logresolve moved into the logs folder. It still immediately crashes.
Here's the basic version of the batch command I'm running:
- Code: Select all
cd /d R:\xampp\apache\logs
logresolve.exe -c < access.log > access.log.resolved
This results in the application crashing. Directly running logresolve.exe from the bin folder produces the exact same error.
The error I receive is "Apache logresolve command line pipe has stopped working"
Event viewer shows an Exception code: 0xc0000005 with offset of 0x00004816
If needed, I can post the event viewer's details. It generates two events: The error and the WER information.
I've removed all security software as well. I've also made sure my user account is given full control over the entire xampp directory. Double-checked that VC++ 2008 SP1 x86 and x64 are installed.