[Feature request] Easier XAMPP updating

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

[Feature request] Easier XAMPP updating

Postby brunoais » 28. August 2015 18:38

The only update instructions I know for XAMPP is:
  1. Backup everything relevant
  2. Uninstall
  3. Install new
  4. Restore information
  5. "Pray" it worked

I think XAMPP should be easier to update. Can't you please find easier ways to update XAMPP? I believe it is hard to do it right as it is now...

My suggestion:

The installer should have an update mode which does all the "volatile" data backup (including the .ini (php and mysql) and the .conf (apache) files) and then do the clean installation without modifying the htdocs directory.
If the setup or configuration files require changes and they had been changed since the previous installation, then the user should be prompt about it so that he can merge them himself (if automatic merging is not viable or unreliable).

That's just a proposal. If you know a better one, just tell it. Anyhow, how it is currently doesn't seem to be good for anyone. Specially since you've been updating more regularly.
brunoais

Operating System: windows x64 v.6.1.7601

Re: [Feature request] Easier XAMPP updating

Postby JJ_Tagy » 28. August 2015 22:39

I think #1 on your list should actually be "Do I really need to update XAMPP?" If it is really that hard to upgrade, you probably aren't writing applications or pages which require to install the newest PHP and Apache. It is a development based package after all.

Nowhere is it identified that these are simple click-and-run tools. You can probably find 100+ posts by Altrea and Nobbie warning that upgrading is no simple task.

That being said, it isn't a bad proposal. Probably just not really that important. Besides... What better way to learn than backing up (and you missed exporting database), restoring/importing, and all you listed above?
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby brunoais » 28. August 2015 23:08

I'm doing the upgrade of each component manually >_>...
I just wish there was a viable way of doing it automatically...

I've been updating since php 5.2 and MySQL 5.0 and phpMyAdmin of that time manually. I'm now at php 5.6, MySQL 5.6 and the corresponding phpMyAdmin. It is still not a satisfying task... Specially considering I'm using an old set of apachefriends tools.
brunoais

Operating System: windows x64 v.6.1.7601

Postby Ananael » 29. August 2015 01:53

JJ_Tagy wrote:I think #1 on your list should actually be "Do I really need to update XAMPP?" If it is really that hard to upgrade, you probably aren't writing applications or pages which require to install the newest PHP and Apache. It is a development based package after all.

Nowhere is it identified that these are simple click-and-run tools. You can probably find 100+ posts by Altrea and Nobbie warning that upgrading is no simple task.

That being said, it isn't a bad proposal. Probably just not really that important. Besides... What better way to learn than backing up (and you missed exporting database), restoring/importing, and all you listed above?

Yes, XAMPP is a development package. A lot of new server admins, start out with a bundled package because of the learning curve. Yes, working with Bitnami with easy installs for web app is great. So now you have a very easy bundle to install your server and apps that will install in that server, 'easy'. Granted after a while the Admin learn the ins and out of his/her server and web app, the problem comes in... Windows mentality... Point and click. not every new admin is going to go through or learn all the steps needed to make sure a manual upgrade will go off without a hitch.

The main reason for upgrading is to fix bugs and security issues. New features are nice, but not the reason I upgrade. I remember the option of downloading either the new install or upgrade. After the switch to Bitnami installers, upgrading is like shooting yourself in the foot. Yes XAMPP is a great bundle; doing a database dump and having to reinstall every app one at a time to make sure everything works is the bitter pill. It would be just as easy to just download every app yourself and not worry about updating XAMPP after the first install and forgo waiting for upgrades. The sad thing is there are other 'newer' AMPPs out there that have upgrade downloads that XAMPP stopped having. I would hate for XAMPP to die out because of a AMPP with a higher learning curve on installing and an lower curve upgrade. XAMPP has gone from easy install/upgrade (last version I remember was 1.7.3) to upgrading by pulling teeth.
Ananael

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to XAMPP for Windows