Portable XAMPP - What Download & Portable vs. Installed ?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Portable XAMPP - What Download & Portable vs. Installed ?

Postby Debugged » 08. August 2015 00:44

Hello all, just joined and from the looks of it this is a huge community! Hope to be able to contribute one day.. so let's start.

What Download
I am looking at http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/XAMPP%20Windows/5.6.8/ and wondering which one of the files I need to get for a portable install of XAMPP?

Looking at the win FAQs https://www.apachefriends.org/faq_windows.html "How can I start XAMPP without setup?" I think I have understood that I can run it from inside a folder.

But now what download do I take?

1. 5.6.8/xampp-win32-5.6.8-0-VC11.7z

2. 5.6.8/xampp-win32-5.6.8-0-VC11.zip

3. 5.6.8/xampp-portable-win32-5.6.8-0-VC11-installer.exe

4. 5.6.8/xampp-portable-win32-5.6.8-0-VC11.zip

5. 5.6.8/xampp-portable-win32-5.6.8-0-VC11.7z

I assume 1. and 2. are the same, download and extract to a folder and run from inside that folder, done, right?

Then 3. is portable but an executable, so I assume it simply executes the extraction to a folder and then runs from there OR does it actually "install" something?

Then 4. and 5. are obviously portable, but then what is the difference of those to 1. and 2. please?

You see a bit where my confusion is coming from?

Edit: Oh and now I see on the homepage/index and /download site of XAMPP one can download 5.6.11 but on the sourceforge site the version go up to 5.6.8?
Why is that?
I guess in that case I should get the latest version 5.6.11 and not 5.6.8? So then where is the portable install for version 5.6.11?
:?:

Portable vs Installed
Before I start all this, is it at all advisable to run it portable instead of the installed version?
I am looking to do dev work on static sites but also need functionality for dynamic sites with dbs attached, like WordPress, etc.
What is the pro's recommend option with regards to that?
You see I am happy to also install this on the system instead of running it from a folder if the portable install tends to throw up more issues or is harder to configure.
Basically I am open to suggestions and tips from the pros with regards to a solid installation of XAMPP, trying to let it run as smoothly as possible.

Thank you for your help in making the right choice for a beginner/intermediate.

:)
100% pure perseverance, nothing else!
Debugged

Operating System: Win 7 Ultimate 64 SP1

Re: Portable XAMPP - What Download & Portable vs. Installed

Postby Debugged » 08. August 2015 10:25

Looking at this post from the News section https://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=71327 it seems advisable to get the latest version 5.6.11.

If someone can point me to the portable version of 5.6.11 and actually explain the differences of those 5 downloads mentioned, that would be a great start.

Just trying to do the right thing. You see instead of just blindly and hastily downloading from the biggest button I like to read first and then act upon the information found. The Win FAQs clearly mention a portable install, though it does not seem available for 5.6.11?

Any help appreciated.
Debugged

Postby Nobbie » 08. August 2015 12:01

Debugged wrote:Then 3. is portable but an executable, so I assume it simply executes the extraction to a folder and then runs from there OR does it actually "install" something?

It "installs" something, for example the icons into start menu and similar.

Debugged wrote:Then 4. and 5. are obviously portable, but then what is the difference of those to 1. and 2. please?

The contents is the same, the binary codec of the packing algorithm differs (one is ZIP; the other 7ZIP). Whatever you prefer (ZIP is more populated, but mostly it does not pack as powefull as 7ZIP and other codecs).

Debugged wrote:I am looking to do dev work on static sites but also need functionality for dynamic sites with dbs attached, like WordPress, etc.
What is the pro's recommend option with regards to that?

Do not take the portable Version. The portable Version is meant for USB Sticks etc., to run it on different PCs / Laptops etc. But if you plan to have a single development PC, take the standard version.

Try to install via *.exe installer, the ZIP/7ZIP Packages are meant for fallback reasons, because on some machines the installer fails (it is yet not clearly known, why it fails, there are clues, that there might be problems with antivirus programs, but it is not sure).

Finally, there is still no portable version for the newest release. They are working on it, but anyway, you should install the normal version.
Nobbie

Postby Debugged » 08. August 2015 12:22

Hello Nobbie and thank you for your informative reply. Much appreciated.

In fact I have two laptops I do work from.
So far I have one main laptop that never changes location, where I do all my main dev work.

However at times I find myself in the situation where I would love to dish out some quick and dirty code and see if it works, and that I often like to do when being on the run from clients or just outside.
I also tend to show clients previews of their sites on the mobile unit instead of a live server.
Main IDE is SublimeText3 and running that from a folder also.

Sooo, in theory I could just take my "work" folder with ST3 and XAMPP on a stick and copy those folders to the mobile unit and do some work there, is that what I could possibly do? (Yes I need to worry about versioning of the code then also but that is another story..)

Or, I simply install the latest version with the installer and have XAMPP installed properly on both boxes.
I assume you will suggest using the installer, even for this scenario?

To make this short, a simply "yes use installer on both" on your part totally suffices here, thank you.
;)
Debugged

Postby Nobbie » 08. August 2015 13:09

Finally - it is your decision.

If its only the "problem", that you want to switch between YOUR Desktop and YOUR Laptop, i personally would prefer two local installations instead of one portable on a stick (even think about loosing that stick.....). Dont forget, you only install a kind of runtime system / development system. You still may put your own projects onto a USB stick (if you really need that).

Running the whole system only from USB stick does of course have some disadvantages (you cannot install the programs as a service, the loading time is worse etc.).
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows