Reloading XAMPP console application

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Reloading XAMPP console application

Postby ian.hird » 08. July 2015 10:12

I have downloaded a new version of Norton which has deleted some of my XAMPP files (possibly my fault).

I loaded a new version to C:|XAMPP-new and had problems running it so I uninstalled my broken c:\XAMPP (keeping my htdocs and mysql\data files then loaded XAMPP into c:|XAMPP. When I try to create a shortcut of the xampp\start.exe which gives the message "XAMPP now starts as a control application etc.".

I cannot delete the XAMPP-new folder because the error message says the folder is open in another application.
I do not have Skype running.

Please advise me how to reset whatever to get me out of the mess I appear to be in.

Ian.
ian.hird

Operating System: windows 8.1

Re: Reloading XAMPP console application

Postby bma1 » 08. July 2015 18:31

Hi,

Try looking in your Task Manager to see if any XAMPP related process is still running. Also make sure XAMPP control panel is not open still.
bma1

Operating System: Windows 2008 R2

Postby ian.hird » 09. July 2015 09:11

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to offer advice.

I have checked the task manager and XAMPP is not shown as running. I have lost my control panel for XAMPP so I cannot check whether it is still running. I have tried double clicking on xampp_stop.exe and I get the following messages
can't find apache\logs\httpd.pid
can't find MYSQL process #2376

Any other ideas?

Ian
ian.hird

Postby bma1 » 09. July 2015 15:39

Try installing XAMPP again then run the uninstall exe. Make sure to backup the files you want to keep first. After check to see if any XAMPP folders still there and delete them.
bma1

Postby ian.hird » 11. July 2015 14:38

Hi, Thanks again.

I finally managed to delete the XAMPP-new folder then I uninstalled XAMPP using the uninstall.exe (after switching off NORTON 360 and rebooting) then reloaded xampp.
I added my back-up xampp\htdocs files to the new set up and can now load non-database websites and they seem to be running O.K.

I also loaded the particluar database files from the back-up copy I took of xampp\mysql\data. I also saved a password to the $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'new password'; to the xampp\phpMyAdmin\config.inc.php file.
Unfortunately when I load my databse websites that use Mysql they will not run giving me an error message -
Warning: mysqli_connect(): (HY000/1049): Unknown database 'fow_images' in C:\xampp\htdocs\FOW Image Collection\includes\mysqli_connect.php on line 21
Could not connect to MySql: Unknown database 'fow_images'

I tried to acess the database table formats using the Control Panel\MySQL\Admin which lists the databases and their tables(good news!)
However (bad news) the tables appear to have no structure and if I click on the table name I get an error message
#1146 - Table 'research.baptisms' doesn't exist
So it seems only to partially recognise them.

Can you help?
Thanks,
Ian
ian.hird

Postby bma1 » 13. July 2015 17:28

Hi,

I am not able to help much on this. So far I have not touched the database on my XAMPP yet. I can only guess PHPMyAdmin doesn't recognize the tables because they aren't set up. They were copied over, but the process that actually creates the tables for the database does some kind of tie-in or link-in that is missing when only copying over. I would suggest rebuilding the database from scratch if possible.
bma1

Postby ian.hird » 14. July 2015 09:34

Hi,

Thanks for your efforts.
I have experimented with 1 of my databases and setting it up from scratch works.
I will keep going that way as it works and may take a lot less effort than trying to debug MySql.

Regards,

Ian
ian.hird

Return to XAMPP for Windows