Gettext support in php 5.6.8 (lack of...)

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Gettext support in php 5.6.8 (lack of...)

Postby mgagnonlv » 07. July 2015 06:11

Hello,

I have been using for a long time XAMPP 1.8.3 with PHP 5.4.7. Always locally, so no security issues from older material. But as the servers I currently develop for are upgrading from PHP 5.3 and 5.4 to 5.5 and 5.6, I decided to upgrade XAMPP to version 5.6.8 (Portable).

I finally was able to set up everything correctly except for one thing: there is no gettext support, which means that XAMPP implementations of multi-lingual software doesn't work. If I replace the "php" folder with that of the former XAMPP package, then Gettext works. I have also tried with PHP 5.5.26 and Gettext doesn't work either. If I compare the contents of the "ext" folder and of the "php.ini" file for both versions, they look similar, so I don't know what to do. Apart from that, I haven't seen any other problem, missing features, etc.

In a nutshell, with XAMPP 5.6.8 Portable, using...
– php 5.4.7, "gettext" function works (i.e. I see strings of CMS that use the gettext function are translated in French)
– php 5.5.26 or 5.6.8, "gettext" function does not work (i.e. strings remain in English)

And when I upload one of these CMS on the commercial server for the world to see, calls to gettext work. So the problem definitely is with my installation of PHP on XAMPP rather than with php itself.

Question: What should I check for?

Thanks.

Note: My system: Windows 7 Professional – 64bit French
Ms Visual C++ 2008 (9.0.30729.6161) and 2012 (11.0.6130), both in 32 and 64 bits
mgagnonlv

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Gettext support in php 5.6.8 (lack of...)

Postby mgagnonlv » 27. July 2015 06:19

BUMP!

Would anyone have an idea? Thanks
mgagnonlv

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Gettext support in php 5.6.8 (lack of...)

Postby Nobbie » 27. July 2015 11:55

You should post your request to the PHP Development team, as Xampp (Bitnami) does no development, Xampp is only a distribution inluding PHP, but it is not developed by Bitnami. There is probably a kind of "Bug Report" on http://www.php.net

mgagnonlv wrote:And when I upload one of these CMS on the commercial server for the world to see, calls to gettext work. So the problem definitely is with my installation of PHP on XAMPP rather than with php itself.

Is it really exactly the same PHP Release, the same OS etc.? If have no experience using gettext(), but as PHP is configured via php.ini, there may be an important difference between a "working" gettext() and a not working gettext() in php.ini. I know that there has been a change for the default language setting, maybe this affects your problem?

P.S.: I found some posts about problems in a 64bit environment, for example: http://forum.wampserver.com/read.php?2, ... msg-120770
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows