xampp php upgrade ?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

xampp php upgrade ?

Postby mohi » 28. June 2015 21:30

How can I upgrade version of PHP without upgrading Xampp?
For example php 5.6.10 has been released butXampp I have contains php 5.6.8. is it possible to upgrade ?
mohi

Operating System: windows

Re: xampp php upgrade ?

Postby glitzi85 » 28. June 2015 21:38

Usually this should be possible. You can download the appropriate package from here: http://windows.php.net/download/
Rename the php-folder inside xampp and just extract the zip file there (make sure the new folder is also called php).
Copy back your php.ini from the original folder. If you need any extensions that are not provided by PHP (The OCI Package for Oracle is an example) you can try to copy them from the old ext-folder to the new.

If this does not work, simply delete the php-folder and restore the old one.

And yes, you need to do this while Apache is NOT running!

BTW: Is there a reason you need the new version?
glitzi85

Postby mohi » 28. June 2015 21:49

I am crazy about IT guys at my company, I try to implement web based systems they do not have and knowladge they can not support but they scan it and find if a new PHP version available and says oh this is usecure!

is it possible to escape form this qualys scans ?
mohi

Postby mohi » 28. June 2015 21:54

or is it possible to apply patches on https://bugs.php.net/?
mohi

Postby glitzi85 » 28. June 2015 22:00

So, what is the job of those guys if they are not able to provide you with a simple webserver?

Anyhow, if those rules are set by your management that's how it is. I really cannot give you any more advice here, that just depends on your company. IT is a wide field and every company does it in a different way.

Patches can only be applied on source code, which means you would have to recompile the whole thing. It would really be easier to just upgrade the whole thing.

BTW: If you are required to upgrade always to the latest version you might wanna keep up to date with the software you run on top of php. If you do not update that part as well you soon will run into troubles.
glitzi85

Postby mohi » 28. June 2015 22:08

IT only gives me windows 2008 server that is it :)
however how qualys scanner works for me is they are collecting bugs from PHP.net and scan the intranet web systems, if any version of software(php,apache etc..) with bug found, they says needs to be fixed and updated,
this web sites are behind the firewall, only has intranet access, bu they do not arguee,
if scanner find it you must fix it.
mohi

Postby glitzi85 » 28. June 2015 22:27

Well, in this case get comfortable with upgrading your systems on a regular basis. I really cannot give you any more support, this is an free support forum and you get paid for it. Either learn how to set up Apache & PHP by yourself (this might not help at all, Apache builds for windows are not provided by the Apache foundation) or get professional support that will handle this for you.

If you are going to run this by yourself, I would recommend to run the exact same setup on a second computer and test upgrades there before you migrate the production system. Upgrading to the latest version without running tests (That's the reason why most Linux-Distros don't have the latest version) is not a good idea in a corporate environment. Also running a webserver without the proper knowledge is not a good idea, but I got the feeling that ship has sailed.
glitzi85

Return to XAMPP for Windows