installing joomla quickstart packages on xampp localhost

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

installing joomla quickstart packages on xampp localhost

Postby Adrian32 » 28. May 2015 09:05

I am trying to install joomla quickstart packages (not just joomla). The quickstart packages only work if you install them as the original installation.

So I've followed the basic steps in all the tutorials and I get to the part:

Create a new folder entitled “Joomla30” in folder “htdocs” in XAMPP folder. Normally it will be located at “C:\xampp\htdocs”
Unpack the downloaded package file into the folder “Joomla30”
Go to the URL “http://localhost/Joomla30”

( http://magazine.joomla.org/issues/issue ... -made-easy )

Now obviously I want to use the quickstart templates at this point, BUT i then get this error message:

Deprecated: iconv_set_encoding(): Use of iconv.internal_encoding is deprecated in C:\xampp\htdocs\Joomla\favouritedark_j!3_UnzipFirst\libraries\joomla\string\string.php on line 27

Deprecated: iconv_set_encoding(): Use of iconv.input_encoding is deprecated in C:\xampp\htdocs\Joomla\favouritedark_j!3_UnzipFirst\libraries\joomla\string\string.php on line 28

Deprecated: iconv_set_encoding(): Use of iconv.output_encoding is deprecated in C:\xampp\htdocs\Joomla\favouritedark_j!3_UnzipFirst\libraries\joomla\string\string.php on line 29

I've tried different quickstart files from different companies. I've tried installing xampp on different PCs. I've tried deleting the files and PHP databases an restarting. What is going on?

I know I could install the template and modules and other extensions individually after a normal installation, but that is not my question. My question is how do I install the quickstart package as the original joomla installation and why is it failing? My guess would be that it is recognizing a previous installation of Joomla (3.4.1) - if so, how do i get rid of that previous installation without deleting xampp?

Or alternatively, how do I expand the package into a separate folder which you(I) have configured as another virtual host in Apache?

I'm obviously new at this but I do believe I am following the instructions correctly.
Adrian32

Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: installing joomla quickstart packages on xampp localhost

Postby JJ_Tagy » 28. May 2015 11:43

You can turn off deprecated messages in your php.ini if you want.

To delete an old Joomla, simply remove the folder and delete the associated database. Don't do this if you don't know what you are doing.
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Return to XAMPP for Windows