PhpMyAdmin databases disappeared

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

PhpMyAdmin databases disappeared

Postby dennisp » 10. April 2015 08:09

Hi,
I recently attempted to change the access to the database on my pc. I have three websites running on xampp and I am the only user. For some reason, the databases have all disappeared and I am unable to log into any of the sites.
When I look at the Myphp control panel it shows that Msql is deactivated.
I am only just starting to understand web sites work and am having real trouble identifying the problem.
I welcome any suggestions.
Thank you in advance.
dennisp

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64 bit

Re: PhpMyAdmin databases disappeared

Postby Nobbie » 10. April 2015 10:16

dennisp wrote:I recently attempted to change the access to the database on my pc.

And what did you do exactly?

dennisp wrote:When I look at the Myphp control panel it shows that Msql is deactivated.

What is a "Myphp control panel"?
Nobbie

Re: PhpMyAdmin databases disappeared

Postby dennisp » 10. April 2015 12:54

What did I do exactly.?
I was trying to configure Xampp so that I can follow a Php tutorial. The tutorial indicated that I needed to create a password for MySQL. I looked at the tables that I had in PhpMyadmin and changed the "All privileges" for each database.
I also created a new password for each user that was shown .
The process was as follows.
(copied from instructions)
"Now that you’ve added a password to MySQL, you need to change the confi guration in XAMPP for
phpMyAdmin so that it can access the database. The confi guration fi le is in c:\xampp\phpMyAdmin\
config.inc.php on the Windows PC or in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/phpmyadmin/
config.inc.php on the Mac. Find the following code:
/* Authentication type */
$cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘auth_type’] = ‘config’;
/* Server parameters */
$cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘host’] = ‘localhost’;
$cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘user’] = ‘root’;
$cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘password’] = ‘’;

Change the password to your new password. For instance, if your new password is !xYz72g, the
change looks like the following:
$cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘password’] = ‘!xYz72g’;
Restart the XAMPP server by going into the Control Panel and stopping fi rst MySQL and then
Apache. Restart by starting Apache and then restarting MySQL.
Call up XAMPP in your browser and see that you can open phpMyAdmin.

When I restarted 'Localhost' and tried to log into my websites. I received a variety of error messages. I'm sorry but I can't confirm what they were and I can't duplicate them.

When I talked about the "control panel: I now understand that it should have been the Xampp dashboard "Status" button. This previously showed that MySql was "deactivated". It now appears that I can longer access PhpMyadmin from the Xampp dashboard.

Xamp is running. It was started with administrators rights. Both Apache and MySQL are running on Ports 80, and 3306 respectively.
My databases all appear to still be in C:/windows/xampp/mysql/data.

I hope this information assists. I suspect that as I am new to this part of the process I have obviously made a fundamental mistake somewhere.
I appreciate your help.
Thanks
dennisp

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64 bit

Return to XAMPP for Windows