MySql start problem

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MySql start problem

Postby smesko » 13. March 2015 11:47

Hi

I was working on my localhost developing a web site and my battery run out literally just seconds before I could stop Apache and MySql. When I got my cable and started xampp I got this problem. Apache would start ok but MySql would just start for 5sec. and than I would get this message:

Error: MySQL shutdown unexpectedly.
[mysql] This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies,
[mysql] improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.
[mysql] Press the Logs button to view error logs and check
[mysql] the Windows Event Viewer for more clues
[mysql] If you need more help, copy and post this
[mysql] entire log window on the forums

It look like the port 3306 is still in use.

I have XAMPP 1.8.2. (xampp control panel 3.2.1.), windows xp sp2

I hope this is not a big problem. If you need more information I am happy to provide that info.
smesko

Operating System: windows xp

Re: MySql start problem

Postby mark.mcdonald » 13. March 2015 16:12

Run: Command Prompt -> Type: NetStat -o
This will show you all your ports being used and should show you the PID associated with it. IF it truly is in use you should see it being used here.
Now try running Task Manager and go to the Services Tab. Look for the PID associated with whats using port 3306. (Make sure the service isn't set to start Automatically as this will take priority on startup)
Stop this task and try starting MySQL again.

Another option is to try just clicking on "Stop MySQL" from the Xampp Control Panel a couple times until it can't find anything to stop.
This may allow you to start MySQL but this is a method I would not rely on but is a possible solution.

*For security reasons I would suggest to stop using Windows XP as Microsoft has stopped all support for that system and has become prone to viral attacks.
I would suggest getting a new system that is supported by Microsoft and Windows 10 ready to stay current with technology.
mark.mcdonald

Operating System: Windows Server 2012 R2

Postby smesko » 14. March 2015 15:06

Hi mark

I have run command prompt -> netstat -ano |find /i "listen" and there was no sign of port 3306. I have started xampp (started apache and mysql) before I got the message that there is a problem (like I have described in my first post) I have again used command: netstat -ano |find/i "listen" , and the ports 80 and 3306 were in use. After I got the Error message there was no sign of port 3306.

I have searched everything and I cant find any sign that port 3306 would be in use.

I have done this:

Close the xampp
Go to the folder where you installed it, if in (c:) may be something like C:\xampp\ , access folder C:\xampp\mysql\data
Delete the file ibdata1
Starts XAMPP again.

and it had no effect.

* Thank you for your suggestion. I normally dont use win xp just on this project.
smesko

Operating System: windows xp

Postby mark.mcdonald » 16. March 2015 15:15

Try stopping all instances of your current XAMPP.
A) Download a fresh copy of xampp-win32-1.8.2-6-VC9-installer.exe.
- Allow this to install to whatever directory you choose (C:/XAMPP is the Default).
- Run the XAMPP Control Panel -> start Apache and MysQL.
Does this run? Does MySQL run longer than 5 seconds? If this runs properly without fail I would believe your MySQL folder has been corrupt from the power outage (lack of battery).
B) Is MySQL installed as a service (mysqld.exe under services)? Is it competing for 3306 even though the service may not be running?
Can you please show the logs & error logs from the time you start MySQL to the time it crashes and stops. There may be [Note]'s that may explain why its crashing quickly after startup (Can't locate files, can't write to..).
I suspect you saw an issue in regards to ibdata1 but did not show the logs where this was an issue and deleted this.
mark.mcdonald

Operating System: Windows Server 2012 R2

Return to XAMPP for Windows