Apache not working

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache not working

Postby Arcanine » 26. February 2015 07:48

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this error. It was working perfectly couple days ago but now I am getting this error:

7:37:53 p.m. [Apache] Error: Apache shutdown unexpectedly.
7:37:53 p.m. [Apache] This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies,
7:37:53 p.m. [Apache] improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.
7:37:53 p.m. [Apache] Press the Logs button to view error logs and check
7:37:53 p.m. [Apache] the Windows Event Viewer for more clues
7:37:53 p.m. [Apache] If you need more help, copy and post this
7:37:53 p.m. [Apache] entire log window on the forums
Arcanine

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Apache not working

Postby mark.mcdonald » 13. March 2015 17:28

1) You may be running out of memory (memory leak or processor intensive) that your ram is being used too much (probably due to not enough). This would cause your PHP code to overrun and cause your Apache to crash.
- If the case try just taking a freshly downloaded new version of xampp and just let it run and see if it crashes unexpectedly.
2) If your port 80 is being battled for (trying to be used by another program), use command prompt to and type in "NetStat -o" to see which program is using your port 80. (see below for example)

Are you using a Windows machine that has "iis" (Internet Information Services) installed and running? If your computer restarted and this is running, iis will use port 80 which Xampp (Apache) uses to run and display your site.
IF this is the case, go to services and turn iis Startup Type to Manual.
Please describe when and what you are using:
Windows / Mac / Linux?
What Version of operating system?
What version of XAMPP?
What were you doing before this happened? When did you notice?
What are you using xampp for? Moodle / Joomla / Drupal / other ...
How much memory are you using when it shuts down? (1G upload limit in PHP but only 4G of RAM?)
What are the previous Logs? When was Apache Started? What was the log right before unexpected shutdown?
mark.mcdonald

Operating System: Windows Server 2012 R2

Re: Apache not working

Postby Muhammad Zeeshan » 14. March 2015 09:45

Turn off all the applications which are using port number 80. I solved my problem by signing off from Skype. Tun off all your voice and video calling software and apps. Enjoy.
Muhammad Zeeshan

Operating System: Windowns 7

Return to XAMPP for Windows