XAMPP WP local hosting on 2 computers, XP & Win7 - advice?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP WP local hosting on 2 computers, XP & Win7 - advice?

Postby BothHands » 25. February 2015 23:56

I’m building my first WordPress site. I have XAMPP running on two local PC computers.

I installed the latest XAMPP on my Win7 computer.
I installed what I think is the final XAMPP that supports WinXP on my trusty old XPpro Pentium4: XAMPP 1.8.2 with PHP 5.4.31

Both local-machine installations have the latest WordPress version 4.1.1 installed in identically named sub-directories:
c:\xampp\htdocs\wp-okay

Both local WordPress installations connect to identically-named MySQL databases named: okay

In brief, I want to be able to work on the Wordpress site on either machine--XP or Win7. As I understand it (IF I do), my local-machine PHP version must be relatively close to the PHP version employed by the online host (HostGator shared UNIX, running PHP 5.5x). I’ve been doing initial WP development on the old XP because it’s convenient, but I think I should migrate my finished WP site from my newer Win7 computer to the root directory of the online hosting account – because those two PHP versions should be a reliable match.

QUESTION 1:
Can I just copy the Wordpress directory (c:\xampp\htdocs\wp-okay)
and the MySQL database (c:\xampp\mysql\data\okay)
from my WinXP computer -----> to my Win7 computer?

1. The WP directories on both machines are named identically.
2. The MySQL databases on both machines are named identically.
3. The WordPress installation on both machines is the latest, version 4.1.1
4. XAMPP and PHP on the XPpro machine are older than XAMPP and PHP on the Win7 machine.

Thank you,
Tom
BothHands

Operating System: Windows XPpro SP3

Re: XAMPP WP local hosting on 2 computers, XP & Win7 - advic

Postby Nobbie » 26. February 2015 14:55

Simply try it, this will answer much quicker than any request here. It *should* work, if differences between the releases (MySQL, PHP, Apache) arent to big - but dont ask me, how to find that out than simply trying.
Nobbie

Postby ragortue » 17. March 2015 19:36

That's right. Although I don't think that this will work by just simply copying. So how did this work out for you BothHands?
Centos 5.6 Image
ragortue

Operating System: Centos 5.6

Postby Nobbie » 17. March 2015 19:59

ragortue wrote:That's right

Exactly.

ragortue wrote:Although I don't think that this will work by just simply copying.

See above - simply test it.

ragortue wrote:So how did this work out for you BothHands?

I did not test it, as i dont need it. I would test it, but for any reason, you wont. I tested it in similar situations and it worked. Everything depends on compatibility between the installed MySQL Releases. But still, a simple test provides much more help than any brain storming.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows