Making Virtual Host Websites Visible on SOHO Network

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Making Virtual Host Websites Visible on SOHO Network

Postby billbell52 » 03. February 2015 15:30

This question is not directly related to Apache but I think someone on this forum may be able to point me in the right direction. I have setup two virtual host websites on Apache for a small company. The virtual host sites work fine on the server machine. I now want to make them visible to all the other computers on the network. How do you do it? In my home development environment I added two custom DNS entries to my Verizon router and every PC in my house can see them. I looked at the Netgear WNR2000 router they use and I don't see an option to do this. I know this is a common need but I've looked around and the answer is not obvious to me. I thought every router would have an option to add custom entries but unless I am overlooking something I don't see it.
billbell52

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Making Virtual Host Websites Visible on SOHO Network

Postby Nobbie » 03. February 2015 16:50

billbell52 wrote:I thought every router would have an option to add custom entries but unless I am overlooking something I don't see it.

You thought wrong, it just vice verse, this is a very rare feature.

Edit the "hosts" file on each PC and insert the corresponding lines for the VirtualHosts, i.e. looks like:

192.168.100.200 myVirtualHost1
192.168.100.200 myVirtualHost1

where 192.168.100.200 is the LAN IP of your Xampp PC.
Nobbie

Postby billbell52 » 03. February 2015 17:17

Thanks again Nobbie. I was trying to avoid the hosts file solution but it looks like the simplest alternative. You are right on this feature in routers. I've been scanning product specs on numerous routers and have yet to find this feature. I just figured if Verizon had it everyone would have it. It just seems like such a simple feature to have and I am sure the need is there I can't understand why they don't offer it. I just can't believe everyone does the hosts file edit solution.
billbell52

Postby Nobbie » 04. February 2015 12:26

billbell52 wrote:I just can't believe everyone does the hosts file edit solution.

Yes and no - the hosts file is the proper solution for single PC and/or very small LAN. Because running a DNS Server (which actually seems to be implemented in the router) is a sophisticated task. On the other hand, the bigger companies of course have the knowledge to run a DNS Server on their own, usually they do not rely on simple router solutions.

In conclusion, actually this feature is not requested very often, even here in this forum i cannot remember if someone else asked that before.
Nobbie

Postby billbell52 » 04. February 2015 17:49

I am going to use the hosts file solution but I have been researching this for the future. If you google 'router with built in DNS' you get numerous hits. It seems a lot of people that want this hack their router and put dd-wrt firmware on it or put in a Linux box with dnsmasq on it. Buffalo sells a router with dd-wrt already installed:

http://store.buffalotech.com/store/bufftech/en_US/pd/productID.296891300/quantity.1
billbell52

Postby Nobbie » 04. February 2015 20:37

billbell52 wrote:or put in a Linux box with dnsmasq on it.

Thats what i *would* recommend - but you asked in a Windows Forum. Actually, i do not use WIndows anymore at home, even not for Desktops or Notebooks. Linux is superior in any way (but Windows Fans wont believe....). I love all my Ubuntu/Gnome PCs, they are fast und stable.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows