//localhost/ takes me to Wordpress Page not Xampp page

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

//localhost/ takes me to Wordpress Page not Xampp page

Postby kmhinman » 17. January 2015 01:18

I'm trying to set up a local server on my pc using Xampp so that I can edit my Wordpress site theme locally. I have gone through many steps and am at the end (i think). The instructions told me that I should be able to put in //localhost/ and be taken to a Xampp control panel page but I'm getting a Wordpress page. It's asking me my

Database name (prefilled out with "wordpress")
Username (I am assuming "root" from looking in MySql admin)
Password (none)
Database host (prefilled out with "localhost")
Table Prefix (prefilled out with "wp_)

But when I click Submit this is what I get
"Can’t select database

We were able to connect to the database server (which means your username and password is okay) but not able to select the wordpress database.

Are you sure it exists?
Does the user root have permission to use the wordpress database?
On some systems the name of your database is prefixed with your username, so it would be like username_wordpress. Could that be the problem?

If you don't know how to set up a database you should contact your host. If all else fails you may find help at the WordPress Support Forums."
kmhinman

Operating System: Windows 8

Re: //localhost/ takes me to Wordpress Page not Xampp page

Postby Nobbie » 17. January 2015 14:31

kmhinman wrote:If all else fails you may find help at the WordPress Support Forums.

This is the Xampp Forum. Obviously you tried to install WordPress. For Xampp, simply proceed to http://localhost/xampp

Everything else ask in the WordPress Forum (as mentioned above).
Nobbie

Re: //localhost/ takes me to Wordpress Page not Xampp page

Postby wpgettingstarted » 19. January 2015 08:30

@kmhinman - you have placed the WP files directly into /htdocs, which is why you will get the WP install screens when you enter http://localhost. On a new XAMPP install or without a valid 'script' in /htdocs, entering 'localhost' will redirect, as you instructions noted, to the XAMPP control panel.

This is one of the main reasons why you should place your scripts, such as WordPress, eFront, Drupal, PrestaShop, etc. in their own folder in /htdocs. It also keeps /htdocs 'tidier' and 'neater' :)

If you placed the WP files in a folder named wordpress within /htdocs, then you would access it with http://localhost/wordpress.

You can carry on with your current WP install, but as noted, you will have to manually enter the path to get to the XAMPP control panel.

As for your WP install, you will have to use phpMyAdmin to first create the new, empty database; name it wordpress and your other values are correct. Also, make sure the MySQL is running (you won't be able to get to phpMyAdmin if it isn't :)

Cheers!
Lyle
wpgettingstarted

Operating System: Windows 7

Return to XAMPP for Windows