how do i get my own directory working

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

how do i get my own directory working

Postby maudibler » 10. November 2014 23:17

I made a new directory temp it has a simple one line html index page. when i navigate to localhost/temp i just get an error ??

so I went to the wordpress directory and deleted everything and then put in my index.html file. So now when I go to localhost/wordpress its my index file that works ! :oops:
maudibler

Operating System: windows 7

Re: how do i get my own directory working

Postby Nobbie » 11. November 2014 13:19

maudibler wrote:I made a new directory temp it has a simple one line html index page. when i navigate to localhost/temp i just get an error ??

The new directory has to be put under the so called "DocumentRoot" (this is the base directory of your localhost Server for storing HTML and PHP files etc.) and for Xampp this is in c:/xampp/htdocs. So if you like to use http://localhost/temp, you have to create c:/xampp/htdocs/temp on your disk and put your files there.

maudibler wrote:so I went to the wordpress directory and deleted everything and then put in my index.html file. So now when I go to localhost/wordpress its my index file that works ! :oops:

Yes, of course (see above). I think it is a good idea if you go for some documentation and tutorials, how Apache works and how to configure it, this will answer many many questions.

P.S.: "I get an error" is not a very a good description. Each error has a message and most of them an error number, please provide these informations instead of the abstract "i get an error".
Nobbie

Re: how do i get my own directory working

Postby maudibler » 11. November 2014 14:16

Thanks Nobbie for your answer. Im doing what you said had to be done. I shouold read up on the how and why but for the moment im just content things work ! Nice that you clarified it a bit more for me so thank you.
maudibler

Operating System: windows 7

Return to XAMPP for Windows