Where are the OFFICIAL update instructions?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Where are the OFFICIAL update instructions?

Postby gwmbox » 19. September 2014 04:06

Hi all

I have been looking for the official update instructions for xampp, but so far I have not found anything, including the FAQ

There are some related forum posts which give links to laborious update steps and also comments where people basically say tough, if you don't like it stop using it - which is not helpful.

So anyway I have started the long tedious task of installing to a new Directory after moving my original directory and having to copy over each site, export from old to new mysql and so on until the transfer is done.

I'd like to make a suggestion for future updates to have a way to simply update the installed versions please.

Cheers
gwmbox

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Re: Where are the OFFICIAL update instructions?

Postby Nobbie » 19. September 2014 12:25

gwmbox wrote:I have been looking for the official update instructions for xampp, but so far I have not found anything, including the FAQ

There is no official update instruction, as there is no official update. Xampp does not offer the opportunity of updating single components or even the whole package. That is unfortunately due to the fact, that Xampp comes preconfigured with very different software tools (it is a kind of distribution) which are compiled and configured to match perfectly to each other.

The big advantage of this kind of package is the "ease of use" especially the very easy installation (what else requires lot of knowledge about the different products). The disadvantage is the missing opportuniy of updating single components or Xampp itself. That is the price Xampp has to pay. If you have an idea how to overcome the various problems by an automatically working update procedure, join the Xampp (or Bitnami) team and provide your solution. It is well known that it is a very sophisticated task to port all projects from one Xampp release to the next.

gwmbox wrote:There are some related forum posts which give links to laborious update steps and also comments where people basically say tough, if you don't like it stop using it - which is not helpful.

I would not say it is not helpfull - in fact it is. As there is no concept and no solution for a standard update procedure, the users have only two choices:

a) use Xampp and either do no updates (or do it by themselves, what may be difficult in many cases)

b) do not use Xampp, which is more difficult to install, but offers the opportunity of updating single components whenever you want (what stll may result in a difficult task).

gwmbox wrote:I'd like to make a suggestion for future updates to have a way to simply update the installed versions please.

If you have a working concept how to make updates simple, join the team. They would be happy.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows