Localhost Joomla Database Question I Need Help With Please?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Localhost Joomla Database Question I Need Help With Please?

Postby clubthrower » 01. September 2014 13:40

Hi All,

First time user here.

I have a live Joomla 3.3.3 site that I wanted to also install on localsever to test plugins, changes and so forth before pushing to my live site copy.

I have installed XAMPP 1.8.3, created the database and imported the live sites database, uploaded the live site joomla files from a backup to /htdocs, yet I was getting "application instantiated" error.

I also checked my now localserver configuration.php file for the database connection details and they all seemed fine.

However, I had a thought and in the: public $host = line, it was 'localhost' but I changed this to my live sites database server IP address and low and behold I get both the sites frontend and backend working on my localhost.

Now my question that I'm currently unaware of the answer is;

If I make any changes or implement any new elements to my localserver joomla site version, that in turn makes any changes to the localhost version of the database... will this actually upload any of these changes directly to my live sites mysql database, since I've put the live sites database server IP address in the localhost configuration.php on the public $host = line ?

Any help or guidance in the above and if I've gone about it in the right or wrong way would be very much appreciated indeed.

Regards,
Steve
clubthrower

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Localhost Joomla Database Question I Need Help With Plea

Postby Nobbie » 01. September 2014 18:15

clubthrower wrote:If I make any changes or implement any new elements to my localserver joomla site version, that in turn makes any changes to the localhost version of the database... will this actually upload any of these changes directly to my live sites mysql database, since I've put the live sites database server IP address in the localhost configuration.php on the public $host = line ?

No idea. I think you should ask in a Joomla forum, this is not a Xampp issue. Xampp does not know anything about Joomla. There is no public "$host = line" somewhere in Xampp.
Nobbie

Postby clubthrower » 08. September 2014 11:21

Hi Nobbie,

Thanks for the advice, I've since done it and got to the bottom of the issue.

Regards,
clubthrower

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Nobbie » 09. September 2014 10:04

Dont tell the Joomla Forum, that you have a Xampp installation. Tell them anything else, a native Apache/MySQL installation on any OS.

This is DEFINATELY NOT a question of Xampp.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows