Automatically access / do stuff

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Automatically access / do stuff

Postby andrewmurraydavid » 28. June 2014 06:35

Hey guys! My name's Andrew, I'm from Romania and i'm the only one from the whole county (not country) who knows something about servers, XAMPP, WAMP, and other stuff... I'm not here to brag, I'm here to ask for help / guidance.

I'm working on a huge project and I need my server (which will remain XAMPP) to do a certain event every day or weekly or what ever the user chooses. I need to send an email with the grade (I'm working on a school book or what ever you call it in English)... Is there any possible way I can do this? If not with XAMPP, could I inject a PHP script or ANYTHING?? I'm pretty much desperate... :| :!: :cry: :? :(

Thanks for all you're help and greetings from Romania!! :D :mrgreen:
andrewmurraydavid

Operating System: WIN 7, UBUNTU 14.04, Mac OSX

Re: Automatically access / do stuff

Postby Nobbie » 28. June 2014 09:38

A webserver like Apache is not the right place to implement such things. If you are running your own Server, you have to use the Operating System specific schedulers for such a task. On linux this is called "cron" and/or "/etc/crontab", you should google for a few tutorials how to apply a job to crontab.

On Windows systems you have to use the "windows scheduler" (which unfortunately works completely different than on linux, but anyway, it is a scheduler and does what it should do), you may also google for "windows scheduler" to find out how to apply a job to a windows scheduler.

A webserver does not have a scheduler and it relys on incoming requests - if there is no request at the desired date/hour/minute/second, nobody triggers the appropriate event. Apache cannot trigger any event without an incoming request. Therefore you have to use the schedulers.
Nobbie

Re: Automatically access / do stuff

Postby andrewmurraydavid » 30. June 2014 10:10

Nobbie wrote:A webserver like Apache is not the right place to implement such things. If you are running your own Server, you have to use the Operating System specific schedulers for such a task. On linux this is called "cron" and/or "/etc/crontab", you should google for a few tutorials how to apply a job to crontab.

On Windows systems you have to use the "windows scheduler" (which unfortunately works completely different than on linux, but anyway, it is a scheduler and does what it should do), you may also google for "windows scheduler" to find out how to apply a job to a windows scheduler.

A webserver does not have a scheduler and it relys on incoming requests - if there is no request at the desired date/hour/minute/second, nobody triggers the appropriate event. Apache cannot trigger any event without an incoming request. Therefore you have to use the schedulers.

You are a life saver! thank you very much! I truly appreciate it! :D 8) got it done! :) :P And I'm extremely HAPPY!! :)) xD
andrewmurraydavid

Operating System: WIN 7, UBUNTU 14.04, Mac OSX

Return to XAMPP for Windows