how serve up locally IPV4 and IPV6? other questions

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

how serve up locally IPV4 and IPV6? other questions

Postby jmichae3 » 13. March 2014 19:21

what changes do I need to make to the files to make apache serve up locally?

IPV4 (given that most commercial-off-the-shelf routers serve up DHCP over IPV4 and not IPV6 and IETF is just starting to consider home IPV6 now)
Code: Select all
Listen 127.0.0.1:80
bind-address=127.0.0.1


IPV6 (don't know of any routers that will do this) will this work on an IPV4 network?
Code: Select all
Listen ::1:80
bind-address=::1


are these correct?
but is there more?
what about phpadmin?
do I need to do something like this?
https://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=41118&hilit=locally#p162979

I am using vhosts and a hosts file. I do not want them getting beyond my machine.

how would I use a firewall appliance to serve up http and https over my LAN? I assume you would block incoming port 80,443 since those are open ports from the outside, and you would put the sonicwall (?) between the modem and the router?
or it replace the router?
if I serve up over LAN, how would I have a localized DNS? (windows DNS software of some kind?)
I don't want that going out over the internet either.

is there a XAMPP that doesn't come with Strawberry Perl?
Last edited by jmichae3 on 13. March 2014 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------
Jim Michaels
jmichae3
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 12. November 2007 09:41
Operating System: win7-64-sp1-ult-retail

Re: how serve up locally IPV4 and IPV6? other questions

Postby Nobbie » 13. March 2014 19:58

jmichae3 wrote:IPV6 (don't know of any routers that will do this) will this work on an IPV4 network?


No, of course not. IPV6 is IPV6 and not IPV4, if you need IPV6, your network has to support IPV6.

jmichae3 wrote:
Code: Select all
Listen ::1:80
bind-address=::1


are these correct?


I dont think so. As you can see, the colon ":" is already used in IPV6 for separations of the eight parts. As far as i know, you have to embed the IPV6 IP into brackets, if you want to specify a port:

Code: Select all
[::1]:80


Wikipedia etc. surely is a good documentation.

jmichae3 wrote:what about phpadmin?
do I need to do something like this?
https://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=41118&hilit=locally#p162979


This depends on you. If you need it, you need it. If not, not. It is a question of security.


jmichae3 wrote:how would I use a firewall appliance to serve up http and https over my LAN? I assume you would block incoming port 80,443 since those are open ports from the outside, and you would put the sonicwall (?) between the modem and the router?
or it replace the router?
if I serve up over LAN, how would I have a localized DNS? (windows DNS software of some kind?)
I don't want that going out over the internet either.


Xampp is NOT mentioned to be used for a productive environment, it used for local development only. So all these questions do not affect Xampp. If you like to run a server, it might be a better idea to look for a forum that matches your needs - Xampp is not suited for online access.

jmichae3 wrote:also, is that strawberry perl that comes with XAMPP?


As far as i know, it is "ActivePerl". I dont know if it is the same.
Nobbie
 
Posts: 8775
Joined: 09. March 2008 13:04

Re: how serve up locally IPV4 and IPV6? other questions

Postby jmichae3 » 13. March 2014 20:04

if xampp is used for local dev only, why does it say it's production-ready on the front page?
-------------------------
Jim Michaels
jmichae3
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 12. November 2007 09:41
Operating System: win7-64-sp1-ult-retail

Re: how serve up locally IPV4 and IPV6? other questions

Postby jmichae3 » 13. March 2014 22:20

found out, it says strawberry perl.
-------------------------
Jim Michaels
jmichae3
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 12. November 2007 09:41
Operating System: win7-64-sp1-ult-retail

Re: how serve up locally IPV4 and IPV6? other questions

Postby jmichae3 » 13. March 2014 22:22

Q: 127.0.0.1 or [::1] serves up locally and not over the internet or anywhere else? just wanted to be sure. thanks. my question is whether the loopback stays local or whether it in fact does out anywhere.
-------------------------
Jim Michaels
jmichae3
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 12. November 2007 09:41
Operating System: win7-64-sp1-ult-retail


Return to XAMPP for Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 80 guests