1) Shut down all instances of Apache and MySQL (if there are running any processes)
2) Proceed to the NEW installed Xampp folder, proceed to the mysql folder and rename the data folder to data-original (or similar)
3) Proceed to the BACKUP Xampp folder, proceed to thy mysql folder and copy the whole data folder from this BACKUP to the NEW Xampp folder (what results in replacing the original data folder by the backuped folder). DO NOT CUT&PASTE THE DATA FOLDER, COPY&PASTE IT!! Because this is your only valid backup.
4) Start the NEW Xampp installation and open http://localhost/phpmyadmin
- it *should* show the old content of your backuped Xampp installation. If phpmyadmin fails to open, it might by necessary to copy&paste the configuration file config.inc.php from the backuped Xampp/Phpmyadmin folder to the new one (and reload http://localhost/phpmyadmin
pbcomput wrote:I backup my xampp folder to my external drive. Then I install portable xampp on my external drive.
If you installed the portable Xampp Version into the same folder as your backup, you probably destroyed your backup. Hopefully you choose different targets!