Lesson in accessing XAMPP VHOSTS from outside IP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Lesson in accessing XAMPP VHOSTS from outside IP

Postby mobius2000 » 20. September 2013 00:50

Hi all,

I have found a heap of forum posts discussing how to access one computers local XAMPP VHOSTS from another PC or iPad but they all seem to presume a better understanding of the systems than I posses. I was hoping someone might be able to take the time to walk me through the process of setting up such a setup in plain english presuming I'm an idiot with no networking experience?

Basically, for the sake of simplifying it, I have the used the following details so I can simply replace with the corresponding IP addresses...

Primary install:
Windows 7 with XAMPP (VHOSTS setup). On this system I have 2 VHOSTs, 1./ www.dev.testsite 2./ www.dev.testsitebeta
The IP address of this system for example is AAA.AAA.AA.AAA

Secondary system A:
MAC OSX... From this system I'd like to be able to access 1./ www.dev.testsite 2./ www.dev.testsitebeta from the 'Primary Install'
The IP address of this system for example is CCC.CCC.CC.CCC

Secondary system B:
iPAD... From this I'd like to be able to access 1./ www.dev.testsite 2./ www.dev.testsitebeta from the 'Primary Install'
The IP address of this system for example is DDD.DDD.DD.DDD

I know it's a lot to ask but I simply can't follow the endless chain of forum topics on the mater, I get lost and screw up my installations... Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'd even be happy to make a PayPal donation if it helps.

Yours sincerely,
Richard (mobius2000).
mobius2000

Operating System: Windows 8

Re: Lesson in accessing XAMPP VHOSTS from outside IP

Postby Nobbie » 20. September 2013 19:55

It is very (very!) hard to understand, what you are going for.

In order to "access" a Domain from your Ipad (for example), you simply have to enter the Domain Name in the Ipads Browser. There is NOTHING you can do and/or configure, so this is the point, I dont understand, what you are looking for.

You cannot "configure" your IPAD in order to "access" www.dev.testsite (for example), as www.dev.testsite is meant to be a "public domain" (if i got it right). It is the job of the owner of www.dev.testsite, to bind www.dev.testsite to a public IP and to apply some contents. There is nothing to be done on your Ipad.

So what do you want to know?
Nobbie

Re: Lesson in accessing XAMPP VHOSTS from outside IP

Postby mobius2000 » 22. September 2013 04:23

Hi Nobbie, thanks for your reply and sorry I wasn't clear about my situation.

When XAMPP is first installed, I get localhost working as a test site destination. If I punch in the IP address on another computer of the original xampp install I can access that localhost test site from anywhere (any system).

So that works great...

On the xampp instal system I have successfully got it running VHOSTs (lots of them) and the all have the nameserver of WWW.DEV.XXXXX so that I can access each testsite (via VHOSTS).

This all works fine, I have about 10 different clients sites working this way on system A (the XAMPP install).

I would like to be able to access these testsites from another system remotely the same way I mentioned that I can access localhost by simply going to system A's IP address.

I know this isn't correct but my way of seeing it is essentially like going to 222.222.22.222/www.dev.xxxxx which basically accesses d:/data/testsites/testsiteone

I hope this makes a little more sense... The www.dev.xxxx aren't public sites, they are part of the XAMPP VHOSTS

Thank you again for taking the time to help Nobbie.
mobius2000

Operating System: Windows 8

Return to XAMPP for Windows