I don't know who should be contacted about this, Apache, or PHP devs, but I'll start here. Maybe this will help some people seeing the same Apache error code in Windows.
OS: Windows XP Pro SP3, and Vista Home SP2
What: Apache 2.4 can crash when serving certain pages to browsers with HTTP pipelining enabled
[mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 3672:tid 316] AH00428: Parent: child process exited with status 3221225477 -- Restarting.
Windows event log (XAMPP 1.8.1): Event ID: 1000
Faulting application httpd.exe, version 22.214.171.124, faulting module php5ts.dll, version 126.96.36.199, fault address 0x0007fbbf.
The address has been consistently one of the three.
Vista event log (XAMPP 1.8.1): ...fault address 0x0004b1c7
Windows event log (XAMPP 1.8.2):
Faulting application httpd.exe, version 188.8.131.52, faulting module php5ts.dll, version 184.108.40.206, fault address 0x0005cf57.
Steps (for me) to reproduce with minimal setup:
- Make sure HTTP Pipelining is enabled
Opera: in opera:config -> Performance, enable Pipelining, restart
Firefox: in about:config, set http.network.pipelining to true, restart
- un-7zip XAMPP 1.8.1 or 1.8.2 to C:\ (so you have c:\xampp)
- unzip box-error.zip to htdocs folder (so you have c:\xampp\htdocs\box-error)
The file is at brewpups.org/files/box-error.zip, sorry I don't know how to add a link here yet, or even if it's permitted.
- from CMD window, cd \xampp, and run apache_start.bat
- browse to /localhost/box-error
depending on your machine/network performance, you may have to refresh several times for the error to happen.
Currently known workarounds:
- Disable HTTP pipelining - Currently I know of only Opera and Firefox allowing access to that feature.
- Use Apache 2.2 - As an experiment, I took the Apache 2.2 from XAMPP 1.7.3 and used it in 1.8.1 without any issues so far. I don't think this is a recommended method, but it did work.
Oh, if you do venture to burn your eyes out on my code, please feel free to point out any terrible things I should not be doing