Configuring Dreamweaver....another Newbie question.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Configuring Dreamweaver....another Newbie question.

Postby arraknid » 02. May 2004 20:40

Decided that the time has come to jump into PHP. Downloaded XAMPP and installed Apache and MySql - can't see how to install PHP.exe! Problem is, Dreamweaver MX doesn't seem to know that there's a server present. My only choice of browsers is the default IE. DW help tells me that if there's a server present I have the option of selecting localhost, but it isn't shown. I'm running XP Pro and Task manager tells me that Apache.exe is present and running. Also, I've never been asked to give a user name or password, so I'm wondering whether I've installed everything correctly. The test server is configured on DW MX, but, again, I'm not sure it's right. Is XAMPP the server folder, or is Apache? There seems to be a distinct lack of instructions included in XAMPP to explain such things. Any help would be appreciated so I can get down to building a webpage!
arraknid

Postby MAGnUm » 04. May 2004 19:28

macromedia's site should be able to help, or if you bought dw their support is pretty good.
~~:M A G n U m:~~
(Disclaimer: if any of this info is confusing or vague tough, its free!!)
MAGnUm

RTFM - Read the DW's Help on configuring a server

Postby chanio » 07. May 2004 20:25

:lol:
Mine is the same machine, same DW and it works fine!
You should follow the DW's help for instructions of how to define your server.
That is: DW needs to know here is the root directory of your server. Where is your htdocs folder (4x. C:\xampp\htdocs ) and how do you call your http (4x. http://localhost ) . Perhaps, just by mentioning where is your physical DW folder at your server (4x. C:\xampp\htdocs\DW ) and your address (4x. http://localhost/DW ). This is the correct logic if you put your DW folder inside C:\xampp\htdocs.
The physical folder is to copy or move files inside your system (not by ftp, ok?). And the address is to call your scripts from your browser.
Hope it helps!
Gallactic Firewall
chanio

Postby Jacky Kenna » 18. April 2005 16:26

Hi

I seem to have exactly the same problem. I use Windows XP Professional. I have down loaded xampp-win32-1.4.13-installer.exe done checks and all seems fine.

I am using Dreamweaver MX PHP Web Development -- I had been using Beginning Dreamweaver MX 2004 which was much easier -- no assumptions of knowledge.

Some of the information I need makes me feel a little embarrassed at my lack of knowledge.

Pg: 26 Save as <?php phpinfo( ) ; ?> and upload to your web server. HOW

In case u have the book pg 71

The MYSQL server value for this dialog should be the hostname or IP Address of your MYSQL Server. If your web server is at www.mysite.org, then you would enter www.mysite.org, in the MYSQL server test box.

The username and password information represent the authentication information for your MYSQL Server, not your web server. This is often the most common mistake to make when creating a connection.

I do not know where to find the address for the MYSQL Server.

Love some direction.

Also the official forum for this book is inactive, receives no support unlike other Wrox books.

Do you know of a book or a tutorial which might be of use to me. After a weekend of extremely slow progress I am now even thinking of paying for a tutorial if necessary. I think the literal translation/meaning in Greek or Latin for Education is to be lead through. I could do with some of that right now. One problem just a line on the page can take me days.

Jacky Kenna
Jacky Kenna

Return to XAMPP for Windows