Continuing running apache and allow access within Network?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Continuing running apache and allow access within Network?

Postby pgrinpdt » 25. January 2013 19:42

Hi, there. I've built a website using XAMPP on my pc and I access it through localhost. Typically I use external web hosts to allow access to my sites. However, my current employer does not allow external sites. So now, I'm trying to figure out a way for people to be able to access the site within the network. I have done some research and I'm able to access xampp from other computers... but only if xampp is turned on. There is nothing super sensitive in this project so security is not the biggest concern except for any type of external access which I don't think is possible outside the network.

My question is how do I get the site to be able to be accessed 24 hours a day, so I do not need to turn apache on and have my computer running in order for people to access the site? Do I need to load apache up on to a network drive or can I just leave it on my C: drive?

Unfortunately I'm not the most computer literate person out there. I have become incredibly efficient in PHP and Javascript but haven't taken the time to learn about networks and servers and what not. So if you can speak in laymen terms a little bit, that would be very helpful.

I appreciate any help I can get, thanks in advance.
pgrinpdt

Operating System: XP

Re: Continuing running apache and allow access within Networ

Postby hackattack142 » 30. January 2013 00:00

Hello,

so I do not need to turn apache on and have my computer running in order for people to access the site

They are running programs so they need to be on a running system. You can install Apache as a Windows Service (green check under the service column in the XAMPP Control Panel) and Apache will startup with your system automatically but your system still has to be running.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Return to XAMPP for Windows